Looking for advice on cameras for different placements.

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am looking for some suggestions on cameras as stated below. I have attached an image of my house too.

house.PNG

Dahua cams are the direction I am going. Here are the items I want to be able to see clearly:

-Front porch
-Front walkway (from driveway to front door)
-Front sidewalk (by subdivision entrance)
-Driveway
-Vehicles pulling in the subdivision (Would like to capture plates if possible)
-Side yard (closest to main road which has trees)
-Back patio
-Back yard (would like to have zoom looking away from house, both left and right) This would allow cover of the entire yard.

What I am looking for expertise wise, is what cameras to choose for the desired coverage (turret, bullet, ptz), and if there are cameras that could cover more than 1 of these locations to cut down on the number of cameras needed.

I believe the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret ipc-hdw5231r-z would be sufficient for the side yard, and maybe the front walk way.

I have no idea on the other items though.

I am also very unclear on which DVR. I want to stick with matching cams/dvr, so Dahua is the choice there. At the house, I will already have a 48 port switch (non-poe) running to all rooms. I'm fine with purchasing an additional POE switch if needed.

Can anyone provide guidance/their thoughts on this? Thanks in advance :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome!

Get to know this: Camera Calculator / Design Software keep PPF>100, tutorial upper left of page.

Mount cams no higher than 8ft, you want to know not just what happened but who did it.

The Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) will accomplish most of your needs.

For LPR see here: LPR

Other choices: Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

If you decide you need more zoom: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet Z12 5.3-64mm (IPC-HFW5231E-Z12)

NVR of choice at this time: Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the response! It looks like I am unable to find those specific Dahua models. Am I missing something? Or are there more models based on membership? I'm looking for comparable models as well to get the best idea of a view.