Looking for a stand alone 2.4ghz camera

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have changed my mind several times while looking for the ideal security camera system for a small area at my warehouse. I originally looked for a single camera with action cam attributes.

1. Wide angle to cover a large area preferably 120-170 degrees
2. Large capacity sd card. Minimum 128, preferably 256
3. A camera with a built in ap hotspot to connect directly to the cameras live local feed with app or rtsp, and access recorded videos on the sd card via my phone or laptop. No monitor needed

Then I changed my mind to a baby monitor because it was long range 2.4ghz local only, but most baby monitors dont have sd cards for recording. Then I looked at analog DVR CCTV system because it was cheap and fulfilled my needs for local only surveillance. Then I changed my mind to a NVR ip system because it could also function on a local only level. and also has better video quality

Now I'm back to the stand alone camera that serves all my needs because we will be moving from this warehouse in a about a year, and I'm not wasting my time with the setup.
So now I'm back to looking for a camera with all of these attributes.

Must be capable of full functionality without the need for internet or a router, have a AP hotspot I can directly connect my phone to, have a large capacity sd card slot, have h.264/h.265 video compression, have a app that does not require internet access to function, and have timelapse and loop recording

Action cameras fit most of those criteria, but most lack in large sd capacity, lack in video compression, and lack in long range wifi connectivity.

Does anyone know of a stand alone 2.4ghz camera that fit my criteria for less than $100?. I found a few but they cost big$$$

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had an idea. Does anyone know if it's possible to connect an ip camera directly to my phones hotspot, then use a mobile ip camera app to view and control the camera, thereby bypassing the router. There would be two possible ways to do this

1. Use the ip camera app on the same phone that has the hotspot

2. Use the app on a second phone that is connect to the first phones hotspot. Both phones will be offline/without service

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Generally, a wireless-enabled ("Wi-Fi') camera will only connect to a wireless router or DHCP-enabled access point, not because of the IP (both it and the AP or router can be made static) but because it can only work in an "infrastructure" mode and not in an "ad hoc" mode .

I'm sure you can find some cheap Chinese cam to do that but it may have other performance deficits that makes it impractical. I have an inspection endoscope that functions like that to connect to an iPhone app; the endoscope connects wirelessly directly to the iPhone to display its view.

EDIT: you could utilize a quality Ethernet/POE-based IP camera with a tiny nano wireless router like the TP-LINK WR802n. The cam would be wired to the nano router and the smartphone would connect wirelessly to the nano router.

TP-LINK_WR802n.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Generally, a wireless-enabled ("Wi-Fi') camera will only connect to a wireless router or DHCP-enabled access point, not because of the IP (both it and the AP or router can be made static) but because it can only work in an "infrastructure" mode and not in an "ad hoc" mode .

I'm sure you can find some cheap Chinese cam to do that but it may have other performance deficits that makes it impractical. I have an inspection endoscope that functions like that to connect to an iPhone app; the endoscope connects wirelessly directly to the iPhone to display its view.

EDIT: you could utilize a quality Ethernet/POE-based IP camera with a tiny nano wireless router like the TP-LINK WR802n. The cam would be wired to the nano router and the smartphone would connect wirelessly to the nano router.

View attachment 80893
Yes. Others here have stated the same thing, and it's cheaper than a phone. That will be my plan

Now I assume any ip camera that is compatible with third party software, the app will be able to access and control the camera (including ptz) from my phone or PC within the LAN.

Or will this LAN only setup work with all ip cameras?

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

View attachment 80893
Also. can you tell me how to edit a post?, I am using firefox and see no option to edit

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. Others here have stated the same thing, and it's cheaper than a phone. That will be my plan

Now I assume any ip camera that is compatible with third party software, the app will be able to access and control the camera (including ptz) from my phone or PC within the LAN.

Or will this LAN only setup work with all ip cameras?
I would think that the compatibility question would apply between the smartphone app and the IP cameras.

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would think that the compatibility question would apply between the smartphone app and the IP cameras.
I noticed not all wifi cameras claim to be wireless ip cameras. Does it make a difference (with third party software) if the camera is ip or not ip?.

I don't have edit or delete, only report. Maybe I'll try another browser

I dont have

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I noticed not all wifi cameras claim to be wireless ip cameras.
My experience is they use the term interchangeably and as you said, YOU have to insure it is for an IP camera,
Does it make a difference (with third party software) if the camera is ip or not ip?.
Probably but the software must let you know that. Generally, I'd say the majority ARE for IP cameras.