Looking for a PC for BI

Miacomo

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm running 45 cams...all are at 6MP, except for 4 at 4MP
I'm looking for a refurb PC that has enough CPU to do what I need here. I want it to be able to do dual channel 32G memory. I would like to have the c: drive as a SSD for the Win 10 OS and BI and I'll be adding an 8TB HDD for video storage (maybe a second identical one too). I'll be running AI on about 75% of the cams for smart motion sense (using IVS on the NVR now). Based on what I've read for about a week here, I'll need something in the 37K-40K CPU performance range, if I calculated this properly. I'm only running 10-15FPS max and am fine with using substream until motion is sensed or I go full screen with one cam. I don't want sluggish, but I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount either!

Any recommendations on specific make/model or even links you have for a decent refurb that you think will perform well for me? THANKS!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah if you don't want sluggish, split the load so 2 drives get about 1/2 the cams each. I find scrubbing thru last nights activities, smoother on my machine with 2 drives.
I'm running 18 Ip cams and 8-9 Cams from an Analog system using the Nightowl HD app .....
I'm running that on an HP Elitedesk G4-800 SFFi5-8500/ 24Gb ram, with 2 drives splitting the load.
I'm running an i7-8700 Dell Precision MT with 32 GB ram, at home and spacce for 2 HDD's ( 3 actually)
and i know somebody here is running an i5-4590 with a shitload of cams,,,,but It's hard to comprehend...........
I'm not sure what model numbers Dell and Hp have available as " off lease" 10th gen CPU machines, but I'd be inclined to lean you in that direction....

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
preliminary search for HP elitedesk Wiki and Ebay puts the 10 Gen cpu in this model

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Dell stopped creating space for supporting 2-3.5" drive bays in the Optiplex SFF model and even in the M-tower models back in the 6-7th generation CPU's,,,,
But I found the Dell Precision line is still supporting multiple 3,5" drives in tower models.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If your thinking about having the luxury of an " offchip" GPU like Nvidia 1080Ti or something,,,,,then the wattage and expansion bays of the Towers would be more likely to support that....