Looking for a new camera to replace my rlc-423

JBjorn

n3wb
Reaction score
I like the idea of a 2MP 1/2.8 or better sensor (haven't seem any 2MP PTZ 1/1.8 though). A lot of the PTZs seem to come with 4MP 1/2.8. And, if you are depending on auto tracking where the camera would zoom in then wouldn't the 2MP perform better? Or, am I missing something? Unfortunately, I just don't like the form factor of this particular one. Prefer more of a dome/vandal resistant type form factor.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I assure you even the 4MP on the 1/2.8" sensor Dahua OEM will be better than what you have LOL.

Based on your picture, it appears you have some decent light, so you can probably get away with the 4MP on the 1/2.8" sensor.

The reason why your existing camera does poorly is because its algorithm is designed to favor a bright static image above everything else.

So the difference between a Dahua and a Reolink is that you can set parameters on the Dahua and it will hold. If you set parameters on the reolink that would result in a darker image the algorithm internally says "idiot alert" and it won't let you set parameters that the firmware thinks will result in not displaying a nice bright image. Don't believe me, set the shutter to 1/10,000 at night and the image should be completely black. It won't with the reolink...or any cheap camera. It is a good test to determine how good the camera is.

The biggest issue with a dome is that domes are not recommended outside unless it is well protected from the elements. The big issue is that the domes will hold onto water droplets much longer than other cameras and thus any dirt on it can then become problematic. And during a rain event with IR, the camera is basically blind...but even without rain, the reflections of lights even outside the field of view can throw weird reflections into the dome.

1671119162254.png

The domes attract lots of dust. Then rain. Then dirty rain spots. Glare from all angles of the sun. Then over time the sun will "fog" the dome like a car headlight.

But the few domes I have that are under a soffit perform fine.

JBjorn

n3wb
Reaction score
I assure you even the 4MP on the 1/2.8" sensor Dahua OEM will be better than what you have LOL.

Based on your picture, it appears you have some decent light, so you can probably get away with the 4MP on the 1/2.8" sensor.

The reason why your existing camera does poorly is because its algorithm is designed to favor a bright static image above everything else.

So the difference between a Dahua and a Reolink is that you can set parameters on the Dahua and it will hold. If you set parameters on the reolink that would result in a darker image the algorithm internally says "idiot alert" and it won't let you set parameters that the firmware thinks will result in not displaying a nice bright image. Don't believe me, set the shutter to 1/10,000 at night and the image should be completely black. It won't with the reolink...or any cheap camera. It is a good test to determine how good the camera is.

The biggest issue with a dome is that domes are not recommended outside unless it is well protected from the elements. The big issue is that the domes will hold onto water droplets much longer than other cameras and thus any dirt on it can then become problematic. And during a rain event with IR, the camera is basically blind...but even without rain, the reflections of lights even outside the field of view can throw weird reflections into the dome.

The domes attract lots of dust. Then rain. Then dirty rain spots. Glare from all angles of the sun. Then over time the sun will "fog" the dome like a car headlight.

But the few domes I have that are under a soffit perform fine.
Hmmmm,.. my current PTZ is under soffit. And, out of direct sunlight for most of the day. But, mist from the sprinklers from the park and medium winds with rain will get it wet. It is within reach for easy cleaning though. I'm going for good night vision so my preference is 1/2.8 for 2 MP or 1/1.8 for 4MP. I haven't seen any reviews for this one: or . Have those ever been sold by EmpireTech or other vendors under different model names?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those two are basically the 49225 in a different form. The 49225 did so well that Dahua removed autotracking from it in firmware updates because it was cutting into sales of the higher priced PTZs.

But if you are looking for good night vision, this is the one you want that is 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor:

JBjorn

n3wb
Reaction score
Those two are basically the 49225 in a different form. The 49225 did so well that Dahua removed autotracking from it in firmware updates because it was cutting into sales of the higher priced PTZs.

But if you are looking for good night vision, this is the one you want that is 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor:

Well, I was hoping for the smaller form factor. And, that looked like a very good option :(. Cheaper too.

But, need to figure something out. Things get weird at night:

Did just find this one. Dome form factor. Smaller. Appears to support auto tracking in 2MP. Initial picture is wrong though and not sure if they deliver to the US (never have used alibaba). 2mp 1080p 32x Optical Zoom Startlight Ip67 Ik10 Face Detection Network Auto Tracking Ptz Camera Dahua Sd50232gb-hnr - Buy Dahua Ptz Camera,Dahua Infrared Ptz Dome Camera,Speed Dome Ip Camera Product on Alibaba.com

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At some point many of us decide on function over form. Moat don't realize you have cameras and if they do then it acts as a deterrent.

The one you posted is bigger than you think and that design is more for inside. That dome will be sitting low enough that even installed under a soffit would be problematic.

This one is a small one and looks like you have enough that it would work