Looking for a good door intercom, any info on Dahuas VTO3211D-P2 and VTH1560CS

Steff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

finally I did also install some network cables to my front door to put an door station there.
Unfortunately the choice of intercoms systems is very limited if you have some basic requirements.
This was already discussed in some other threads (my essentials: hardwired with RJ45, ONVIF capable, POE if possible, good image quality in low light, no obligatory cloud service, etc.).Due to the generally lower image quality (compared to Dahuas starlight cams) there will be a additional 2MP-cam at the porch.

At narrowing down the choices and also excluding the doorbird, only two setups are left:
1. Dahuas VTO2000A intercom and
2. Dahuas VTO3211D-P2.
As Display my favorite is the VTH1560CS (due to the fact that there are real buttons and the overall design of the device).

But unfortunately I couldn't find any experiences or reviews on the VTO3211D-P2 nor the VTH1560CS.

Does anyone of you already own one of these devices?
Are they recommendable?
Which one would you choose? Why? (4 Dahua cams are already installed)

Cheers
Steff

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Steff,

Thanks for your first post.

Good questions. Curious to see more info on those

Pero

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I just received my Dahua intercom VTO3211D-P2 and the display VTH5221DW.
First impression is really good, but I think much more could be possible If I would know how to set it up correctly. This is my first Dahua product and I have no experience with IP cameras and installation of those, but I'm also planning to buy surveillance cameras as well in the near future. For now I am more or less playing with the settings and trying to figure out what is possible.
I connected the display and intercom over a PoE switch to my home network and the communication between intercom and display worked right away. Now I am facing some trouble with a couple of things:
- I would like my voice to start talking on the intercom when somebody is pressing the call button and also for leaving a message if it is possible, but I don't know where to change that
- I would also like the intercom to start recording or at least make a couple of pictures when somebody is pressing the call button. I thought that I changed the settings in the settings menu on the router (the default IP adress 192.168.1.110), but it doesn't seem to work... Would it maybe be possible that the intercom starts recording as soon it recognises a person in front of the door and that it also sends a push notification on the phone?
- I also installed the app (gDMSS lite, version 3.51.001) on my android phone, which allows me to remotely access the intercom camera when I start the app but I don't get any notification when somebody is pressing the call button (push notification activated)

Beside the Users manual on Dahua page I couldn't find any tutorial on the internet how to set it up properly according to my needs. Any help from somebody more experienced would be appreciated or at least if you could give me some tips where I should look (maybe on a similar product).

Thanks in advance,
Pero

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do these intercom monitors only work with the intercom/doorbell cameras ?
I would like an smallish monitor so i can watch my regular IPC camera that is located at the door.

Steff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can also add normal IP-cams to the monitor. There is a special button where you can switch between intercom cams and the previously registered IP-cams. Perhaps you will have to do an extra click. No sure if you can set the timer on “always on”. Can have a look later.

I‘ll also give quick review of the intercom devices above later. I have installed them these days.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can also add normal IP-cams to the monitor. There is a special button where you can switch between intercom cams and the previously registered IP-cams. Perhaps you will have to do an extra click. No sure if you can set the timer on “always on”. Can have a look later.

I‘ll also give quick review of the intercom devices above later. I have installed them these days.

That would be great if you could test and describe how it works showing the cams. I really want an monitor to hang on the wall where i can see a view from the cam.

Steff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The maximum time to display a live stream of a cam in the VTH1560CS is 300 seconds (5 minutes).
You can prolong the time only at the end of the timer for the same period.
So there is no "alway on picture" possible.
I think it will be the same for all Dahua VTH stations that share the same software version number.
I flashed an other firmware with german language on the VTH, here it is the same.

btw: The interface to add a local IP cam allows only to enter passwords with a length of 6 characters. Hence I added a user with limited rights and a short password to the IP cam.

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The maximum time to display a live stream of a cam in the VTH1560CS is 300 seconds (5 minutes).
You can prolong the time only at the end of the timer for the same period.
So there is no "alway on picture" possible.
I think it will be the same for all Dahua VTH stations that share the same software version number.
I flashed an other firmware with german language on the VTH, here it is the same.

btw: The interface to add a local IP cam allows only to enter passwords with a length of 6 characters. Hence I added a user with limited rights and a short password to the IP cam.

Much appriciated. Exactly what i needed to know. Will have to think about if thats good enough for my needs.

Steff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just wanted to give you a short summary of my experiences with the above mentioned devices for the front door.
I finally installed one of the two intercoms after playing around with both of them.

The indoor monitor station VTH1560C works fine.
The setup was very easy, the menu navigation is self-explanatory and simple.
Also the possibility to change the IP address of new devices/cams without changing the network segment is nice.
However I was not able to access the messages left by visitors on the device inbox from afar (directly from the station works fine).
There is no access on the device via the IP address as known from my Dahua cams.
I did upload another firmware - everything is in on German now.
Note: PW length for additionally linked IP-cams is restricted (see my post above).

Now to the two intercoms.
Both intercoms have pros and cons neither is perfect.
On both devices the mobile alert in iDMSS worked reliable.

Advantages of VTO2000A-C + VTO2000A-F (camera and fingerprint module):
- looks more professional, due to possible flush installation in the wall and stainless steel front plate
- fingerprint module works fast and reliable, after I found out how to configure it correctly
- camera viewing angle is adjustable
- found a German firmware (mainly necessary for the voice prompts)

Advantages of VTO3211D-P2
- more sensitive camera module, better night picture (even without IR LEDs)
- higher camera resolution (2 MP is a must for me)
- angle of view substantially bigger (H:140° vs H:90°), gives a good overview of the door entrance
- video stream and device seems more stable than VTO2000A
- integrated IR light, and a glass cover on the camera lens
- less obtrusive intercom device (I like to have the surveillance less suspicions)
- Mifare card reader is integrated

Disadvantages of both intercoms:
- browser access on the devices via IP address only from IE on a windows machine
- I have security concerns for the door openers (with fingerprint, card reader and opener module), due to the relay being integrated directly in the door station itself (albeit both intercoms have a manipulation switch)

Conclusions:
In the end I clearly preferred the VTO3211D-P2 and installed this intercom.

int

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Steff,

I am looking at intercomes for a two family home. I am pretty much settled on Dahua. But I am not decided yet - what modell it should be.
The race is between Dahuas VTO2000A and Dahuas VTO321 1D-P2. I am in similar situation like you were. So how is your experience with VTO321 1D-P2 since? Any regrets at all?

I like the modular approach of VTO2000A really and the ability to tilt the the camera a bit as well as the more professional look of it.
VTO321 1D-P2 on the other hand - has the big advantage of being less expensive and more compact (and being more uptodate !? 2MP vs. 1.3MP ?).

Since the intercom can only be placed on the door reveal in our settings - meaning that is to be placed in a 90 dregee angle next to door - with the camera pointing straight forward.
Would that camera position a great disadvantage of VTO3211D-P2 compared to the VTO2000A - which can tilt the camera a little?
What do you think?

Thanks for your input!
INT

Last edited:

Steff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi int,

I tried to hook up the VTO2000A again, to make a comparison of the viewing angles with the VTO3211D.
Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get a picture. (I wrote the device did seem less stable, as I tested it some weeks ago, a full reset and a new IP address did help last time - but didn’t try it this time.)
Anyhow, the angle that you can tilt the cam is not very big. I would say the bigger viewing angle of the fixed lens and the higher resolution of the VTO3211D is much better.
You will get a better overview of what is happening at the door and you can also see the heads of smaller kids (my mounting height is around 1,5m).
If I understood you right, your entrance situation is a little bit like mine: the device is mounted in an 90° angle to the door. If you look at my video clip above at second 4 you might see what I mean. The entrance is recessed 70cm an the device is placed 20cm away from the door. This work fine for me.
WWWW________________WWWWW
WWWWWWW===========WWWWW

D device; W wall; = door; _ space

Last edited:
Reactions: int

int

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
...If I understood you right, your entrance situation is a little bit like mine: the device is mounted in an 90° angle to the door. If you look at my video clip above at second 4 you might see what I mean. The entrance is recessed 70cm an the device is placed 20cm away from the door. This work fine for me....
Hi Steff,

thanks for the reply. Wow... that you tried to setup the other IP intercom just for a comparsion. Sorry - to hear that it did not work out quite that well.
As far as the position of the camera goes - you nailed it. If would have paid more close attention to your video I could have seen it.

I can manage maybe 15 cm away from the door - but your opinion makes me more confindet that VTO3211D P2 will do it for us!

Thanks,
INT

int

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @Steff,

one more questions - with Dahua VTO321 1D-P2 there a lines of speech - when some rings - it says 'Calling...' or alike.
I have two questions - can you change it? And can you get grid of it altogehter!?

Do you use Dahuas VTNS1060A POE switch with it? It is needed??
It should be no different than other POE switches...right!?

Thanks,
INT

Steff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey int,

Yes, you are right. Out of the box there is a message from the speaker every time you ring the bell.
This is kind of annoying and I turned it off.
You can do this via the setup in the web interface, individually for the different events (on ring, for the message box, if the door is unlocked). For the VTO2000A I found a international firmware, where you could set the language also to German, but in German the messages are no better and also too obtrusive/nerdy.
Also nobody did use the audio message function, so turning all messages completely off is my recommendation.

int

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey int,

Yes, you are right. Out of the box there is a message from the speaker every time you ring the bell.
This is kind of annoying and I turned it off.
You can do this via the setup in the web interface, individually for the different events (on ring, for the message box, if the door is unlocked). For the VTO2000A I found a international firmware, where you could set the language also to German, but in German the messages are no better and also too obtrusive/nerdy.
Hi @Steff,

thanks - good to hear that it can be turned off quite easily then - as I am afraid I would find a bit annoying and obtrusive like you.
As far as for updates are concerned I was just told that the intercom will prompt you - if there is a new update (assuming that is connected to the internet).
Mhmhmhm... really?

INT

Steff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As far as I remember I had to use the Dahua specific update tool (config tool) for the VTO2000A, but I also did flash the same version number but another language release.
I didn’t had an automatic update for the VTO/cams as far as I noticed.

int

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Steff,

thanks - are theses the pix of VTO321 1D-P2 and VTO2000A!?
Which pix belong to what camera!?

Thanks,
INT