looking for a good ANPR camera

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The main problem is that I would probably need a HIKVISION alternative as well (long story, but good chance they'd need to choose a HIKVISION camera).
So I'm currently looking for both Dahua and Hikvision ANPR alternatives.
With HIK, the main problem I had was with the focal length: with a big focal length, I can zoom in for a longer range and therefor, the height of the camera would be less significant because of the angle.

Any advise would be appreciated.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you need the camera to actually read and log the plates or just the ability for you to visually read the plates or use a 3rd party to then read the plates?

And what is the distance? Most ANPR focal lengths are not large.

Many here use the 5241-Z12E and is capable of about 200ish feet. But this camera does not read the plates and you use a 3rd party if you want to have them read. But you can clearly read the plates.

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks,

1. Yes, I need to OCR and have a log.
It's not like a parking lot where I need to 100% identify the number and connect it to the payment
It's also not like a parking lot where I can have the camera 3-4ft from the plate when the car is standing in front of the gate.
2. 200ft sounds good enough. The question here is the angle you get. I guess that with a longer range, the angle to the plate would be good enough even though the camera is mounted relatively high.
3. Naturally, I'd rather have a dedicated ANPR cam but it's all about the cost - if the price makes no sense at all and better use 3rd party for recognition, we can consider
4. I guess that the 5241 is not ANPR cam but it's also a Dahua alternative. From the little I remember, the HIK ANPR models are very far from 63mm - closer to 12. couldn't find there a camera with a reasonable focal length.
I'm looking for a HIK alternative as well even though I always prefer Dahua.

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
And some other questions regarding the 3rd party SW:
1. Is it possible to integrate with NVR or only PC with or without BI?
2. Does it mean I do not get logs?
3. If I do take ANPR and NVR, do I need a special NVR that support the AMPR cams or most common NVR's would give me a log and list of captures with video to run

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Two Dahua LPR cameras.

HFW-7442H-Z44MP AI IR which is a 4MP, 1/1.8” CMOS - 8 mm to 32 mm Zoom

ITC237-PW6M-IRLZF1050-B which is a 2 MP, 1/1.8 " CMOS - 10 mm to 50 mm Zoom

Non LPR and less costly.

HFW-5242H-Z6E-MF which is a 2MP, 1/1.8” CMOS - 8 mm to 48 mm Zoom

Wiz_ard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alaska Country gave you some good options,

We sell hundreds of these a year, ITC237-PW6M-IRLZF1050-B which is a 2 MP, 1/1.8 " CMOS - 10 mm to 50 mm Zoom - i dont know of another ANPR that can beat this one in the same price range.

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks helpers,

And as for the Hik alternative, I was thinking about either DS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZHS8 or DS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZHS
Both are very expensive and personally I'd take the Dahua but the good thing is that both of them support also 8-32mm (not 50mm but still better than 2.8-12mm).
If the cameras could be mounter low enough or the LP of the cars was high enough, I would not be worried about the angle but that's not the case for real life.

ITC237-PW6M-IRLZF1050-B would also be my cost-effective choice if it was up to me.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The question is how far away will the plates be?

Many have tried to use the Dahua 5442-Z4E that is 8mm-32mm at 60 feet and felt like the plate wasn't large enough to read effectively and ended up replacing it with the 5241-Z12E

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is an image from a Dahua HFW-7442H-Z44MP AI IR LPR camera at 100 feet with the lens at maximum zoom (32 mm).

The lens is too short as a larger plate would be better IMO. i.e. either more zoom or less distance

When the weather warms up (June!) will reposition the HFW-5242H-Z6E-MF (48 mm) that is mounted within a foot of the 7442 and see how the two compare when operating side by side and pointed at the same exact location.

LPR-7242.jpg