Live view - Camera time overlay - time out by 5 - 10 seconds

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
In a pinch, you could download the demo/trial version of BI and use that to play the clip.
In a pinch, you could download the demo/trial version of BI and use that to play the clip.
True, but that will show the BI time stamp using direct to disk also, so no need to use camera’s timestamp. So using Blueiris’s BVR raw file that is created using direct to disk method would seem to be un-modified way to present file.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
True, but that will show the BI time stamp using direct to disk also, so no need to use camera’s timestamp. So using Blueiris’s BVR raw file that is created using direct to disk method would seem to be un-modified way to present file.
I just continue to use the timestamp from the cameras directly and no overlay of time from BI. I have 15 of them and they are all in synch with Net Time down to the second so, no issue there for me.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree, I use to do it that way since D2D was developed, but for the average new user that is not as easy as just using the BI included metadata. I assume that is why Ken implemented this back in 5.2.8

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can say that from a law enforcement perspective things are handled a little differently in Australia. A statement is obtained from the person exporting the video, confirmation that no alteration or modification made, reference to the time stamp either correct time or out by however many minutes, and for continuity purposes to which police officer the file was handed to. That police officer will corroborate that in his or her statement.

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i use BI overlays no that no part of the video is permanently covered. you think the little timestamp wouldnt matter, but i cant tell you how many times i was watching live pd and they showed some clip from a bank or convenience store and the action was happening right under the timestamp. it does happen. ill let a cop come over and watch the raw, but i see no good reason to permanently stamp over the video. plan for the unexpected.

having a timestamp considered "alteration" is a valid concern and doesnt surprise me as dumb as our complicated ass laws are here in the US. the definition of "letter of the law" and not "spirit of the law." im sure you could also argue that changing the BVR file into an MP4, overlay or not, could be considered "altering" too. youve changed the entire file structure, technically.

and if the cops really do want the raw BVR then they can have it and itll have the metadata included if they wanna download a trial version of BI to view it in its UNaltered form.

Last edited:

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I run the time server that @sebastiantombs mentioned above and I have each of my cams (15 in total) pointed to the IP address of the local time server. All my cams overlay the time on their feed to BI and the BI has overlays turned off. All 15 cams are perfectly in synch with no issues.
What port number is used for the time server?