Live view - Camera time overlay - time out by 5 - 10 seconds

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I only have two Dahua cameras connected (more on the way) and I've set things up where the camera embeds the date/time in the video feed. I have noticed that when viewing the live screen via Blue Iris that one video feed is 5 - 10 seconds behind the other. The time is correct but when watching one stream and then flicking to the next it's a matter of waiting a few seconds for the video to catch up. Is this normal and to be expected?

Here is a snap-shot of a live-screen view.

2020-11-30-BI-Time-Diff.PNG

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cams will not hold their times. You need a time server like @sebastiantombs linked to.
I've installed the time server, went back into the Dahua config tool, sycn'ed the time, and now in Blue Iris, in live view, both cameras are showing exact precise (now) time.

Is there anything else I should do? I noticed in the Dahua config tool a place to record a time-server but that I have unchecked.

Regarding the time-server, what would be the preferred settings? I set it to check every 3 hours and update if 2 seconds out, the default was check every 12 hours and 2 mins out.

ps. forgot to mention, thanks for the advice.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I've installed the time server, went back into the Dahua config tool, sycn'ed the time, and now in Blue Iris, in live view, both cameras are showing exact precise (now) time.

Is there anything else I should do? I noticed in the Dahua config tool a place to record a time-server but that I have unchecked.
Yes, for each cam you'll enter the IP address of the computer where you installed the time server (for most, the IP of the BI server).

Regarding the time-server, what would be the preferred settings? I set it to check every 3 hours and update if 2 seconds out, the default was check every 12 hours and 2 mins out.
Doesn't matter a lot for this purpose. 3 hours/2 seconds is fine.

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why not use a BlueIris overlay instead of the one from the cam? Using it through BI you have the option to keep it or remove it when you export a clip. It also means all overlays will be synced up since they use BIs clock. So much more flexibility that way.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why not use a BlueIris overlay instead of the one from the cam? Using it through BI you have the option to keep it or remove it when you export a clip. It also means all overlays will be synced up since they use BIs clock. So much more flexibility that way.
Others might want to chime in with this one, but I was under the impression that it's less work for Blue Iris server. If that's not the case then, yes, I'll look at the Blue Iris overlay method.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recommend using the ntp time server for the camera. For legal reasons the timestamp must be on the video. If it is done after the fact, you have modified the video. The video is now suspect as it has been modified.

Using time in bi uses more cpu.

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recommend using the ntp time server for the camera. For legal reasons the timestamp must be on the video. If it is done after the fact, you have modified the video. The video is now suspect as it has been modified.

Using time in bi uses more cpu.
I havent noticed any measurable increase with overlays since it's just saving text metadata to the BVR file. And for evidence, you'd have to export to an mp4 anyway. You wouldn't be giving anyone the BVR. When you export, you include the overlay.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are actually supplying evidence, the BVR files must also be included, hence the camera time stamp since adding the time stamp to the video after it leaves the camera is altering the original video file. This may seem like spitting hairs but attorneys get rich on stuff like this, details matter in a court case.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I run the time server that @sebastiantombs mentioned above and I have each of my cams (15 in total) pointed to the IP address of the local time server. All my cams overlay the time on their feed to BI and the BI has overlays turned off. All 15 cams are perfectly in synch with no issues.

Reaction score
In another thread a user wrote that police don’t give a crap. Let me just say that when I was a LEO, if I received a clip from someone I wanted to make sure that the clip had not been modified so my case would stand up in court.

If the clip had been modified such as by Blue Iris overlaying time, I could see what happened and maybe who did it but couldn’t use the clip and would have to try another route to get a conviction.

Why use overlays if you think you might ever want to provide a clip to law enforcement?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
In another thread a user wrote that police don’t give a crap. Let me just say that when I was a LEO, if I received a clip from someone I wanted to make sure that the clip had not been modified so my case would stand up in court.

If the clip had been modified such as by Blue Iris overlaying time, I could see what happened and maybe who did it but couldn’t use the clip and would have to try another route to get a conviction.

Why use overlays if you think you might ever want to provide a clip to law enforcement?
So are you saying that it is better from a legal perspective, to have the camera itself stamp time on the video, and that way the native BI video clip would stand as not modified in any way?

Reaction score
I have received a clip from someone. I review it. If it is something I want to use in court, I ask the person if I can meet with them at the place that the camera recording device is (NVR or BI). I ask to see the original playback and if from BI, I would ask for the .bvr file and the exported clip be put on a USB stick that I provide. When the transfer of the two files is on the USB stick, I tag it and bag it.

In court I can testify that I watched the person transfer the files after I saw the original clip on their machine. I can testify that to the best of my knowledge, the clips have not been altered. If the defense attorney wants to object to the evidence, they can get an expert to testify that the files have been altered but have to prove it to the satisfaction of the judge and/or jury.