Live Cam Frame Blocking Bottom of Clips Column

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After my second to last update a live frame now appears at the bottom of the clips column. It blocks about a third of the column. It is sized to the width of the column and is the last camera selected (for any reason) from the main frame. It doesn't go away until the clips viewer is closed. It immediately re-appears when a new clip is selected.

Is this a new 'feature' I should be all excited about or just there to annoy the piss outta me?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could be a glitch. What is the BI version?

Mine is 5.4.7.11 of 6/11/21 and that live view frame only shows up when I double-click to play a clip then goes away when I close that cam window that was opened up to play that clip.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Current is 5.6.7.3. Was also an issue with the version just before it. The cam window is completely unrelated to the selected clip.

Coincidentally, 5.4.7.11 is the last version that didn't give me any reason to upgrade. I've been upgrading ever since hoping the minor annoyances will eventually get worked out.

Silly me.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Coincidentally, 5.4.7.11 is the last version that didn't give me any reason to upgrade.
Yeah, it does what I ask of it, my mantra is (like a lot of folks around here) is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :cool:
You going to e-mail BI support about it?

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does that do any good? Don't want to whine about something that's supposed to be an enhancement that somebody else complained about not having. LOL

Just upgraded to 5.6.8.4. Same issue.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does that do any good? Don't want to whine about something that's supposed to be an enhancement that somebody else complained about not having. LOL

Just upgraded to 5.6.8.4. Same issue.
Certainly it's your choice but it doesn't sound like an enhancement to me, more like an annoyance....but who knows....I sure don't. :idk:

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, one man's annoyance can certainly be another man's enhancement around here.

I'll drop a note and see where it goes, though my instincts say go back to 5.4.7.11 until there's a mandatory reason to update.

Thanks for the input. I'll report back with any response / explanation I may receive.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, it appears and shows either the live view from the same cam as the clip that you're playing, or, if you have another the current live cam selected before going into the clips, the live view from it.

I could take it or leave it. I don't see any way to turn it on or off.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For me it's in the way and serves no purpose. And in my case with the last three updates (including the current one), It shows the live view of the last cam selected from the main display, not the cam of the selected clip.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
May have changed it. I'm on 5.6.6.1. Try clicking on the black border so that no cam is selected before going into the clips and see if that gives you the live view for the same cam. Not that it will make things much if any better if you don't like it to begin with.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll hafta get back to it later. Another issue I've experienced with the more recent upgrades is cameras going offline due to IP addresses being arbitrarily changed in their BI configs. Started happening when MAC addresses got thrown into the mix and is clearly a Blue Iris issue since the camera addresses themselves are unchanged and bound to their MAC addresses in my DHCP server. Probably should relay that to support too now that I think about it.

Anyway, thanks for the input. Always appreciated.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes. I'm sure they know. That's been happening since they made that change.

To stop it, check the box for each cam under Video > Configuration that says Skip initial MAC, HTTP, DNS reachability tests.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After my second to last update a live frame now appears at the bottom of the clips column. It blocks about a third of the column. It is sized to the width of the column and is the last camera selected (for any reason) from the main frame. It doesn't go away until the clips viewer is closed. It immediately re-appears when a new clip is selected.

Is this a new 'feature' I should be all excited about or just there to annoy the piss outta me?
Can you show us a screen shot of the issue?

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To stop it, check the box for each cam under Video > Configuration that says Skip initial MAC, HTTP, DNS reachability tests.
Shouldn't need to. And the MAC reachability query can actually be inconclusive on cameras securely behind wireless bridges and access points that assume the MAC of said device or cameras behind a DVR/NVR. But I actually did disabled it the last time it occurred and it hasn't happened again since. But BI shouldn't be arbitrarily assigning IP addresses in the first place. The question is where are they coming from? Previous addresses cached somewhere in BI for possible recovery purposes after a system failure or something?

Best practice is to always assign static IPs in each camera.
I know. And as generally indicated above, I do -- complete with MAC bindings on my router and reservations on the DHCP server.

Can you show us a screen shot of the issue?
C'mon, dude. Exercise your imagination!

Last edited: