Lite H.265 series?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I’m sure I know better about some things, but this subject definitely is NOT one of them.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading, and trying to ask what I think are reasonable questions that I didn’t see answered in the wiki or other posts.

I must still be missing something because while I accept that the 2 MP starlight’s will give me the best night time picture, I have to think that there must be a turret Camera available that will give me a much better daytime picture. I would think there are a few, so maybe one of them would be acceptable at night too.

Is it possible that the 2 MP starlight zoomed out to provide about an 85-90 degree horizontal FOV will give me a high quality daytime picture of cars and people 125-150 ft away?
even an 8mp camera zoomed out to give you a 90 degree fov wont give you a high quality image at that distance. you will need two cameras.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it possible that the 2 MP starlight zoomed out to provide about an 85-90 degree horizontal FOV will give me a high quality daytime picture of cars and people 125-150 ft away?
If you haven't already, give IPVM Camera Calculator V3 a whirl. You should be able to use it to pull up a Google map image of your property, then you can drop/position specific model cameras on the map and then see estimated camera images from various distances.

You can also look at Dahua's DORI specs (usually listed on the camera's spec page) for a rough idea. For the 8MP varifocal turret, zoomed all the way out to 2.7mm (which is 110'), it shows the "identify" range is 28ft. You mentioned 85-90', so that will extend the "identify" range out a little bit .. maybe 40-50ft? A lot of folks feel here that Dahua's DORI specs are overly optimistic, so I wouldn't expect to get as many feet as they say.

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I did check out the ivpm tool and found that pretty much all of my solution options weren’t going to be adequate enough.

Burton_Flooring

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Agree with fenderman. You need two cameras. That's what I wound up doing after trying to cover the area with an 8mp