List of camera brands that work without needing plugins on any browser?

zolstarym

n3wb
Reaction score
Been looking for an ip camera, but it seems like the majority of IP cameras out there still require plugins or IE, or there is no way to find out.
Is there a list of IP camera brands that will be compatible with, say firefox on linux? If there is no list, maybe make one here?

Dahua tells me that only IE is supported and they seem to require flash on some of them. Hikvision seems to require plugins. There is a brand called Uniview who say that other browsers work without plugins, but I can't find any demo streams to confirm this.

Also, if anybody knows of ones that also have the ability to send motion detection events to smartphones as notifications, that would be a bonus.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Been looking for an ip camera, but it seems like the majority of IP cameras out there still require plugins or IE, or there is no way to find out.
Is there a list of IP camera brands that will be compatible with, say firefox on linux? If there is no list, maybe make one here?

Dahua tells me that only IE is supported and they seem to require flash on some of them. Hikvision seems to require plugins. There is a brand called Uniview who say that other browsers work without plugins, but I can't find any demo streams to confirm this.

Also, if anybody knows of ones that also have the ability to send motion detection events to smartphones as notifications, that would be a bonus.
You are mistaken. Dahua and hikvision firmware have not required plugins for sometime now.

zolstarym

n3wb
Reaction score
Dahua at least told me that they only support compatibility in IE, and their demo streams required flash when I tried them. Old firmware on those?

If they don't require plugins now, do they at least work with firefox or chrome on non-windows OS?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dahua at least told me that they only support compatibility in IE, and their demo streams required flash when I tried them. Old firmware on those?

If they don't require plugins now, do they at least work with firefox or chrome on non-windows OS?
Again that is incorrect. They both work in chrome with no plugin. There are a bunch of posts on the forum confirming this. I have not tried them on anything other than windows.

zolstarym

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting. Google led me to a bunch of posts about plugins being required, but I guess those are out of date.

Have any of you tried out any of Dahua or Hikvisions motion detection phone alerts? Do those work reliably for you? The reviews on their apps on the google play store seem to be hit or miss on the apps working.

Reaction score
I only use Edge or Chrome on Windows 10. The cams that I have purchased since December 2019 connect with either browser. But the ones that I purchased prior to that only really worked with the NACL Chrome plug in. I have never updated the firmware, but others have stated the newer firmware no longer requires plugins.

erylflynn

n3wb
Reaction score
To be clear, flash is baked into Chrome BUT is going away end of year. So if it requires flash and that is why it works in Chrome expect that to go away end of the year.