linking two NVRs via Ethernet

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry for the naive question. I have two small systems where the POE switches are about 70 meters apart. It would be really helpful if I could view the cameras (live & playback) on NVR 2 from NVR 1.

I know that if I added a PC to the LAN then I could do everything I want with CMS, but that would be so clunky and require all kinds of security or a standalone otherwise-wasted PC.

Each NVR can be assigned a different name and device number as well as IP number, and all the cameras already have unique IPs. I just don't know if one NVR will see the other's cameras via the NVR's web interface.

I would just string this all together and try it but these are existing in-service systems essentially seperated by a moat full of crocodiles.

Advice, guesses, abuse, or humor: any reply would be appreciated.

extended LAN.jpg

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
if nvr 1 is a 16 channel device and all cameras/nvr are at least onvif compatible (better same brand) then this is possible. all cameras have to be on the same subnet if those are not layer 3 switches and you dont want a router.

run a cable between both
you can just add them after with their ip and disable recording on the channels which belong to nvr 2.

but you dont have access to the recordings of nvr2, this is only possible with a computer/mobile device and browser/software/app.

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if nvr 1 is a 16 channel device IT IS and all cameras/nvr are at least onvif compatible THEY ARE (better same brand) then this is possible.

run a cable between both
you can just add them after with their ip and disable recording on the channels which belong to nvr 2.
OKAY

but you dont have access to the recordings of nvr2, this is only possible with a computer/mobile device and browser/software/app.

**Unfortunately, that is very likely true, but is it possible that from NVR1 I can list not the cameras from NVR2 but NVR2 itself, and so run playback via NVR2's web interface? That's the question I doubt but I can't be sure unless and until I replace NVR2 with a better and more recent product.

I think I'm going to check with some local pals, see if there is an NVR I can borrow long enough to test this on the bench.**

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
**Unfortunately, that is very likely true, but is it possible that from NVR1 I can list not the cameras from NVR2 but NVR2 itself, and so run playback via NVR2's web interface? That's the question I doubt but I can't be sure unless and until I replace NVR2 with a better and more recent product.
No you cant access the files/recordings stored on NVR2 harddrive via NVR1 or vice versa. it is only possible to view the other cams because it just shows the network stream of the camera directly.
it is only possible if you connect a computer or whatever onto the switch on nvr1/2 and speak to nvr1/2 directly via browser OR software.

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thx for the reply, though I'm sorry to hear it confirmed. If all I can get is live view then I won't go ahead with the idea.

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Move the NVR's to the same location, then connect switch one with switch two.
That's a fresh idea. Hearing it made me review my reasons for having NVRs in two locations. Also made me review why not just have a single NVR?

Definitely, merging these two little standalone systems would make them simpler and solve the technical issues but there would be a list of unfortunate side-effects. Most of these would be specific to our needs here so I won't list them, but for example:
  • I don't want neighbors coming into the house thinking I'll serve coffee while they spend hours searching for their missing cat;
  • NVR2 is located at the entrance to the walled neighborhood. Having a 24" CCTV monitor in the guard shack, visible to everyone who enters, has a tangible value. It shows that our camera icon signs aren't bluffing.