Link two cameras

Craig-91

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to wire in a second camera without having to track all the cable back to the NVR I have recently relocated to under the stairs cupboard. I.e. can I link it to another front camera instead.

Craig-91

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Mike, could you please explain how this would work and how to connect as I say NVR is some distance from current camera in question and I wanted to install a 2nd without tracking the cable all the way

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Mike, could you please explain how this would work and how to connect as I say NVR is some distance from current camera in question and I wanted to install a 2nd without tracking the cable all the way
Follow link 2 that MikeLud1 posted. Review the 4th image labeled 'application diagram'. If your NVR is the PoE source, it would be in place of the PoE switch noted in the diagram.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The devices that Mike posted are a 2-port ethernet switch powered by POE. Simple to use, and the one I have works well. Another method is to use the 4 otherwise unused wires in the cat5/6 cable for a second link, using splitter/combiner devices at each end. Example here: RJ45 Ethernet Cable Combiner/Splitter 1 Pair, 2-in-1 POE Cat6 Cat5e Data Adapter . Either approach will work in many situations, while sometimes one is a better solution. The 2-port switch is easier to hook up, but if the power required by the 2 cameras and the switch exceeds what the POE port can deliver, it won't work. Also, for a very long cable run, the splitter/combiner approach carries the power over twice as many wires, which could be an advantage.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
could you please explain how this would work and how to connect as I say NVR is some distance from current camera in question and I wanted to install a 2nd without tracking the cable all the way
Craig-91

See image for how it is setup. You may need a POE injector (shown in image POE Midspan) if your NVR does not output enough power. One question are your cameras POE? If they are not POE then this will not work.

1623261282018.png