Limit IP Address ^ stopped working?

Palmpilot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wrote to support yesterday but did not hear back yet. I am wondering if anyone else here ever used the Limit IP Address feature with ^ in it.
Basically how it used to work was that if you put ^192.168.1.2 in the Limit IP Address setting it would allow all web requests from that IP address to go unauthenticated.
I used it to have my home alarm (SimpliSafe) sync the statuses (Home, Away, Off) with Blue Iris's profiles.

Ever since the last release (I am running the latest BI) this feature seems broken. When I access BI's web from the specific IP address I get prompted with the login screen. Which breaks my home alarm integration.

Anyone else use this feature and notice anything different?

Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't know you could do this. It might have come in handy in the past.

Best to tell the Blue Iris developer about it so he can fix it.

Palmpilot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
True very useful. Ken the developer actually told me about it. I didn't see the "^" option anywhere in the documentation, asked him and he recommended I use it. It has been working for many months but not anymore. Sadly I think my emails to support/Ken are getting in some spam filter as I don't seem to get any responses from him for a while now.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Businesses using email for communication (all of them) should not run spam filters in my opinion. Unfortunately most of them do run spam filters.

Palmpilot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just resent my email to support from one of my other email addresses. I will keep you posted if Ken answers.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just curious how you have the notification from alarm set to change the profile of BI (if I understand correctly what it is that you are doing)? I would think this is very useful integration for sure.

Also, let us know what Ken says.

Palmpilot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sure, I wrote a simple Windows Service in C# .NET that queries the unofficial SimpliSafe API (if anyone can call it an API...) and gets the state of my home alarm system every minute or so. Then if the status changed (say from "Off" to "Away") it uses a variation of this URL http://blue_iris_server_ip/admin?profile=1&lock=2 to switch and lock a specific BI's profile.
My specific implementation turns on alerts on all cameras (in-house & outside) when the home alarm changes to "Away" and turns off alerts on all the in-house cameras when the home alarm system is set to "Off" or "Home". Pretty simple function.

I actually got a response from Ken's support a few minutes ago asking for more information. I will let you know how it goes.

Palmpilot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Quick update. So it definitely has something to do with the new auto-generated admin user (was introduced in one of the more recent BI updates). This new admin user is created automatically when BI runs (even if you delete it, it recreates it). It appears that for the "^" feature to work this new admin user has to be enabled.
Once I enabled it the "^" feature started working and my integration with SimpliSafe is running again.
Support@BI wrote me that as long as this admin user doesn't have a password it is safe and can't be used by anyone.