Lightning

Metallo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I think the story I am about to tell, is in a way unbelievable.

After having worked two months on the IP cams installation, retrofitting with Ethernet cables my home etc. I was finally ready to go on vacation with a decent system up a running.

We leave to the airport, the sun was shining, and twenty minutes later we were at the check-in.
Another 10 mins and we were at the gate, waiting for our flight to be boarded.

Through my phone App, I connect to the cameras, and I could not believe my eyes:
there was a thunderstorm, where 30 minutes earlier there was sun shining. Certainly well possible, especially during the summer, but weird because at the airport, the sun was still shining.
So, I was watching the driveway camera, and decided to switch to the one on the backyard, but it was spinning, spinning and spinning again... I tried a different one, same story, none of them could connect.

In the meantime, ready for boarding, so I said, ok i will check again in two hours once we land.
Two hours later, another airport... same offline response.
Took a second flight, 8 hours later...same offline message.
I tried to connect to other devices at home, everything was offline.
I checked with the power provider for power outages, there weren't any, so I thought the router was the culprit.

Day 2, I asked a friend of mine to go to my place and check things out, and he came back to me with this two images from the backyard camera:

IMG-20230707-WA0006.jpgIMG-20230707-WA0011.jpg

He then went inside, we where on a video call and I asked him to check if the NVR was on, everything seemed to be working good with it.
Now, let's check the router: red light, display shows: Error 2000. I asked him to unplug the router and reboot, it did not work. We went through a reset process, still no joy, the router could no longer connect to the ISP.
I called Bell, the ran a few checks, they could not see anything wrong on their end, physically the line is good, they said. Error 2000 is a generic error, so if the router can no longer connect, they are going to send me a new one.

My conclusion is that the house was hit by a lightning and fried the router.

However, I cannot figure out the dynamics of this:

From the image, it looks like the lightning did NOT hit the camera, but an old electrical box that used to power two outdoor lights. (where you see the window, there used to be a door before).
However, I remember I disconnected that cable from the indoor electrical switch, so there is no power in there.

The IP camera is connected only to the Ethernet that goes to the NVR.

If the camera would have been hit by the lightning, it would be destroyed, and the NVR would be fried, or at least the PoE port of the NVR.

How is it possible that a lightning strikes an electrical box instead of a camera that is only 5 inches away? What attracts lightning more than the camera itself?

The proof that the lighting went through the electrical box (someway) is that the its breaker tripped, and it can lo longer stay ON, which explains ther has been an overload and there is a short-circuit.
At this moment, I cannot verify if the the electrical outlet where the router is connected, is protected by that breaker, but chances are that it is. I did it many years ago, and I need to be phisically be at home to verify this.

So, that would explain everything, but still i cannot figure out how a 'disconnected' cable in an electrical box could 1) attract a lightning more than the camera itself and therefore fry the router.

What I find unbelievable, is that in my life, my home was never 'hit by a lightning', and it happened 20 minutes after I was ready to enjoy the result of my hard work to install those cameras.
It is ironic that now, I have to wait to be back home before I can fix all of this, so bye bye surveillance cameras :wave:

I am sure I am not the only one coming out with a 'summer' story like this, and likely some of you has an explanation to my main question above.

I apologize for the long-winded rambling , but after all, I am on vacation! :lmao:

Alex

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are many, MANY stories out there a lot like yours in that there is no logical (to us) explanation as to "why"....I can say that lightning is going to so whatever it wants to do.

It's probably the most common and, for the most part, accurate conception that lightning is seeking the earth, which we call "ground." How it gets there and what lightning considers the quickest and easiest path is known only by, well........lightning.

It does not take a direct hit to destroy devices, as nearby strikes can induce huge amounts of voltage in a short period in anything that comes close to conducting it....certainly wires, cables, antennas, gutters, underground water lines and healthy, green trees...pines, poplars and other trees with high moisture content are "chosen" often by lightning.

Wiring in proximity to a strike can "receive" these huge ESD (static) spikes much like an antenna and pass them on to whatever device is connected to it. It can be such a high amplitude/short duration spike that man-made semi-conductor devices oftentimes can't react fast enough or if it does, it can't suppress enough of it to make a difference and it can be blown up like a firecracker trying to clamp it to ground.

I've given up trying to understand why lightning does some of the things it does. I've had it come in on a satellite coax, go through a DVR and take out a HDMI port on a TV. I've seen it go through a DSL modem, through the NIC and zap the PC's onboard video but not bother the NIC one bit. It took out the DSL modem and the fax machine that was connected to it, BTW....why not the PC's NIC?

Telephone lines to DSL modems and fax modems seem to be very receptive to damage from these induced surges, probably because of their long strings of elevated conductors of relatively low impedance. Unplugging is best when you can.

Metallo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Tony,

After reading, I feel better now, because I am not the only one who cannot give a logical explanation to Mr. Lightning behavior. :rolleyes:

The funny thing is that on my roof, I have a TV antenna, which I have always considered to be the most likely point of attraction for a future Mr. Lightning... but I was wrong, again. :rolleyes:

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Electricity always flows in a circuit back to the source.
Lightning can overcome the insulation between the sky and the ground, so there isn't much a mere mortal can do to prevent the current flow.
The sky is one capacitor plate, and the ground is another. Lightning is a pinhole breakdown in insulation. Once the charge is in the ground, electrons must spread in that plate to achieve neutrality. So a direct strike is unnecessary to sustain damage.
The charge will go straight through your electronics if it is at "A" and it wants to get to "B", and your electronics and CAT 5 cabling are in between.
You have to adopt a different approach. Instead of trying to stop the flow, you have to channel it.
You don't need copper, just stout fencing wire that effectively shorts out all remote cabling back to a single earth.
There must only be one earth. All things metal in contact with the earth should be connected together on your property.

In other words, instead of making your CAT5 the path of least resistance between A and B, rather provide an alternative lower resistance path direct to the ground, and the charge will take that route.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
My house was hit by lightning a few years ago. It struck my HAM antenna in the attic, traveled through the coax to the radio, and then out the ground cable to my gas line. In the process is fried the coax, jumped through it's jacket, through the insulation of nearby Romex, and onto its ground. It took out random ethernet ports, HDMI cables, smart switches, LED light bulbs, etc. It didn't make any sense why some things were damaged and others weren't.

The oddest of all was an LED headlamp that was sitting on the freezer chest in the basement. It was not plugged in, but just sitting there. The strike caused the light to turn on and it would not turn off.

Most of the IP cameras were fine, but I ended up replacing all of the ethernet in the house.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I hope this will not be my case, as it took me so much work up in the attic and the walls, that I would begin to cry just by the idea to redo it all. :(
The upside is you have the old cables to pull the new ones, so not nearly as much work.

I may not have needed to replace all of the cabling, but after I replaced some devices they lost connection and then I was not able to get continuity or ping an IP over the run. Fortunately I was able to get insurance to pay me for my time to rerun all of it, and there was a lot of runs...

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I remembered my first ever desktop computer was fried by lightning only after one year. I was devastated when I came home from school because I won't be able to replace it for a while because computer were kind of expensive to me at the time . I think the phone line was hit by lightning as the DSL modem and phone jack were also fried, but for some reason the monitor was fine.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Just the proximity of a lightning strike can cause immense damage....it doesn't have to hit your house, your electrical wires, etc. With every lightning strike there is an associated large electromagnetic field created. This can induce a voltage onto any conductor. This is why they tell you not to be touching large metal objects during lightning events. You probably have of know or wireless charging that is especially popular with mobile phones. Same principle. The charging device generates an electromagnetic field usually via a loop of coiled wire. On the other side is your phone which has a loop that allows a voltage to be induced. Same principle as an electrical transformer.

Last edited:

Metallo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fortunately I was able to get insurance to pay me for my time to rerun all of it, and there was a lot of runs...
How did you get the insurance to pay you back for the time to re-install the Ethernet cables?

I would imagine whatever the lightning damage, which in my case, could be thousands of $ damage, as I do have hi-end hi-fi equipment, which I have been told it is still showing in stand-by, but I will not know for sure if it all works as expected, until i listen to it.

Really, I hope I do not need any of that man... just to think to go back to the attic, dig out the insulation and all that stuff, wearing a mask with crazy temperatures etc. :wtf:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My last close lightning strike, took out the right surround amp in my Denon receiver.
I had two alarm system magnetic door contacts that were welded in the closed position, and had to be replaced. 9 others were fine.
I have a four gang switch box, that had 3 smart switches in it, and a normal one.
It took out only one of the smart switches in that box.
It took out part of the functionally of a weather station I had at the time, other functions of the WS continued working.
Everything else was ok.
It's a total crap shoot.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
How did you get the insurance to pay you back for the time to re-install the Ethernet cables?
It was a task and I had to get my insurance agent involved because they wanted to pay me pennies on the dollar, but after submitting quotes from two vendors they agreed to pay me.

Fortunately this happened during the Covid lock down, so it was a little easier (even though the company was a pain to work with) to get things covered.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I always put my pc's on a power supply strip with lightening protection. One of the insurance guaranteed ones. Do they work? Would they pay out if it failed to protect? I wouldn't know. Not lost anything yet though.

I believe you can also buy lightening arresting rj45 filters. Same caveat but never tried these. I always pull the main house internet plug out of the wall socket when there's lightening any closer than about 5 miles by my counting just in case.

Reaction score
Just the proximity of a lightning strike can cause immense damage....it doesn't have to hit your house, your electrical wires, etc. With every lightning strike there is an associated large electromagnetic field created. This can induce a voltage onto any conductor. This is why they tell you not to be touching large metal objects during lightning events. You probably have of know or wireless charging that is especially popular with mobile phones. Same principle. The charging device generates an electromagnetic field usually via a loop of coiled wire. On the other side is your phone which has a loop that allows a voltage to be induced. Same principle as an electrical transformer.
YES---What @Sybertiger says is exactly accurate. If you have exrtra "slack" in your network cables, and you coil it up neatly like a good neat-freak network dude does, THAT COIL CAN GENERATE A MASSIVE SURGE as a result of the electromagnetic field produced by lightning passing through the coil. I believe I lost a POE port on a switch and the POE power "converter" / circuitry in a camera due to a surge like that just a few years ago-- there is a thread of mine here about it somewhere. I also had 2 cameras and my OLD POE switch AND THE BI COMPUTER fried by a lightning strike about 8 years ago.

Now--- if you don't coil the slack-- what do you do with it?

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I always put my pc's on a power supply strip with lightening protection. One of the insurance guaranteed ones. Do they work? Would they pay out if it failed to protect? I wouldn't know. Not lost anything yet though.

I believe you can also buy lightening arresting rj45 filters. Same caveat but never tried these. I always pull the main house internet plug out of the wall socket when there's lightening any closer than about 5 miles by my counting just in case.
My computer that got fried by lightning was on a power supply strip with lightening protection, but the DSL phone line connecting to the computer desktop was not protected, and the computer was off at the time.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
The time I grabbed the metal frame of the sliding glass door as I was rushing to close the patio screen door due to an approaching T-storm....SMH....BAM-POW-ZING....LOL!

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually the coil will slow down the surge while the helping/hoping for
the rise to dissipate elsewhere and for the MOVs to trip. Xl (that is Reactance or the coil).
On the runs where I do not have coils, they will blank out first on "near" misses.

The C in the circuit is the dielectric between the conductors.