Lightning strike distribution map

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Although where I currently live (NC, western mtns) indicates as low strike area, that's a statewide average, not indicative of any specific area. Some places are FAR more likely to see strikes than others. A couple factors here significantly increase strike probability.. (1) ground conductivity - some places have very high mineral content in soil, and it stays damp most of the year (2) elevation and trees. Higher up, on average, more likely to be hit, and also certain trees seem to attract lightning, Yellow/black Locusts being a primary culprit (Willows too). But, I have seen strikes in lower elevations, nothing outstanding about the spot; just hit the same place repeatedly. Another "magnet factor" is presence of ground water and iron. Common to see bacterial iron oozing from wet springs and bogs here... those places seem to attract lighting, Last year, at least 6x lightning struck within 1/4 mile of our house, hitting various trees. The mountain behind us rises 1600 ft above, yet lighting continually hits the lower terrain. That's why we have lightning protection on our buildings. In summer storm season, I am always on high alert for storms. They sneak up on us very quickly, leaving very little time to retreat to indoor safety.
You TX, FL & NM folks get crazy amounts of lightning, but doesn't mean other places don't get our fair share... I still don't go outside in summer storms. Seen too many strikes a bit too close for comfort, even though I live in a lower strike probability area. :cool:

Attachments