Lightning = Daylight @9 PM

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please forgive the not-so-stellar quality of this image (old UBNT AirCam at 720P, looking through a dirty window, out of focus, low light) but its interest is not in those things; I found it interesting how dark my flag looked with it's 2 LED lamps and then 1 frame later, it's like daylight at almost 9 PM when the lightning made its appearance. Even the sky is blue! The car had triggered Blue Iris in this instance.

BTW, we lost our DirecTV DVR earlier in the day to a nearby lightning strike, both TV's were unplugged from power AND the HMDI cables leading from the receivers (thank goodness).

Cam3_lightning_062318_2058.jpg

Last edited:

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow like night and day although the "day" shot looks like a scene from a 70s TV show. That camera must be in daytime mode all the time i suppose so the IR don't reflect off the window otherwise the transition from IR to color mode would usually take a few seconds.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue sky is freaky
It is freaky. We're about 500 yards uphill from a 20,000 acre man-made lake and it helps produce micro climates and modifies the surrounding weather like crazy this time of the year. It'll split incoming bad-weather fronts right in two. You can be in a 2 inch per hour downpour, drive 1/8 mile and it'll be dry as a bone. So in this episode, we had lightning over head or nearby in the south and looking north you had.....blue sky! And the pink blossoms of the mimosa show up as well. Even some high altitude, cloud-to-cloud lightning. Quite entertaining if you appreciate nature's wonders.

You can see my flag lights are still on and the Camaro's headlights hitting the roadway, too.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I commend you on lighting the American flag at night Tony...not many know...

§6. Time and occasions for display
  1. It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
+1 on the proper lighting on the US Flag. The forethought of placing light(s) on the Flag demonstrates volumes about the homeowners. Uplighting on mine and I don't allow the bulb to burn out!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I commend you on lighting the American flag at night Tony...not many know...
+1 on the proper lighting on the US Flag. The forethought of placing light(s) on the Flag demonstrates volumes about the homeowners.
Thanks, guys. You're right, it's too bad more people don't observe the Flag Code regarding night time display of Old Glory. But what bothers me more is well meaning folks who allow their flag to get so faded and torn...it's a disgrace. I'm borderline OCD about it....I stock 2 or 3 flags at all times that I give out to people in exchange for the old ones. I cannot stand to see her flown like that. I would prefer they don't fly her at all if they're going to allow such deterioration. It shows no respect to the flag, the country, or the people who gave their lives for her and her country.

I guess I got some of that desire and feeling from my late dad, WWII vet and a shining example of "The Greatest Generation." I probably got the rest from being a Vietnam vet myself.
OK, here goes....."God Bless America". USFlag.gif

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 on the proper lighting on the US Flag. Uplighting on mine and I don't allow the bulb to burn out!
RobertM, in the first 5 years I must have replaced about 10 or 12 of the halogen lamps. The slightest bit of moisture when they're hot and BANG!....they're gone. Spent hours trying to seal the lens rings, the housing, even the opening from the ground spike...all to no avail.

Christmas about 5 years ago I was at Home Depot and spotted the earlier, plastic cousins of the lighting pictured at the end. They were plastic, the new ones are metal. They're both dark green or bronze, LED technology, cheap, bright and 5 years later, still going strong. I caulked a ring of sealant around the plastic lens where it meets the housing, that's all. Be on the lookout this Christmas, they're in the Christmas lighting section. At under $10 each They're a steal, IMO.

If I didn't learn squat about electronics, electrical or lighting after 31 years of traffic signals and outdoor lighting, I learned this: you heat up a fixture or enclosure like a street lamp or flag light with a hot bulb (or a IP camera with IR LED's) and the daytime sun for about 10 hours from dusk to dawn, the air inside expands and pushes it's way out of the enclosure. When that heat source turns off the warm, expanded air inside the enclosure cools off, contracts and draws in the outside air which contains LOTS of early-morning moisture. That condenses on the inside of the housing. The remedy is to seal the enclosure to prevent that flow and in the case of expensive CCTV cams I replaced in the 80's , fill the housing with a dry, inert inert gas like nitrogen or argon at a slightly positive pressure and employ an elaborate gasket system to hermetically seal the enclosure.

Hence, the pack(s)of desiccant inside today's surveillance cameras in lieu of expensive inert gas and positive sealing.....that would likely triple the price of the cams.

flag_LED_flood1.jpg

flag_LED_flood2.jpg

flag_LED_flood3.jpg

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
@TonyR Does that light have a pretty tight beam ? I upgraded my flag light from the solar type (which only stayed lit for 4 hrs.) to a LED spotlight. It is bright enough and has been bullet proof for 4 years now, but it is not a tight enough beam. It also lights up the tree behind flag. I am sure I can modify mount to fit my situation. I can no longer find this type of lamp, so I need a backup so when this one fails. Also is it a 110/120v hardwired ? Great Price !

Attachments

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...what bothers me more is well meaning folks who allow their flag to get so faded and torn...it's a disgrace...
The desecration of the American flag as a fashion statement drives me nuts, along with the blue strip desecration...

flag1.jpg

flag2.jpg

flag3.jpg

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@TonyR Does that light have a pretty tight beam ? I upgraded my flag light from the solar type (which only stayed lit for 4 hrs.) to a LED spotlight. It is bright enough and has been bullet proof for 4 years now, but it is not a tight enough beam. It also lights up the tree behind flag. I am sure I can modify mount to fit my situation. I can no longer find this type of lamp, so I need a backup so when this one fails. Also is it a 110/120v hardwired ? Great Price !
It's a spot, pretty tight. They're 120v wired with plug on end. Maybe HD could find or special order even in June!

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
It's a spot, pretty tight. They're 120v wired with plug on end. Maybe HD could find or special order even in June!
So do you think one of these will light it up good enough ? My light is about 13-15 feet from flag.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So do you think one of these will light it up good enough ? My light is about 13-15 feet from flag.
Wow. Hard to say, bro. 550lumens is pretty bright but those may have more a flood beam angle. Ideally you could buy, try and return if they're a no-go.

You may also consider an automotive LED spot, 30 degree, high output. Just put the 120VAC to 12VDC power supply indoors or protect it from elements.

This chart is made for PAR30 floods but gives an idea of the width of a 25 degree flood at 16 feet.

beam_spread_comparison1.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check out this bad boy, available in 2 wattages (20w & 30w) and 2 beam angles (20 degrees and 44 degrees):
GKOLED 30Watt Bullet LED Spotlight, Narrow Beam Angle COB LED Round Spotlight, 5000K Daylight White, 3350 Lumens, 120-277V, Outdoor Flag Pole Spotlight Fixture, UL Listed & DLC Qualified

Is your light at base of pole or 13-15 feet away from the flag at flag-level under a soffit?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...Q.....if you get my drift.:rolleyes:
I certainly do Tony, but it's a desecration of the American flag, none-the-less. All of these examples disrespect America, and those who have died in defense of America...and the people who wear or display these desecrated images of the American flag are misguided American a$$holes.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I certainly do Tony, but it's a desecration of the American flag, none-the-less. All of these examples disrespect America, and those who have died in defense of America...and the people who wear or display these desecrated images of the American flag are misguided American a$$holes.
No argument from me on any of those points, bro.

Not to start something else, but I'm fairly certain we also see eye-to-eye on the NFL players kneeling for the National Anthem, too.