Lightning bolt

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Found some old files from last year, ran across this one of a huge lightning bolt caught on one of my cams. Slowed down so more detail can be seen. This was just one of many bolts from this big t-storm - which happened to be over 60 miles (100km) away. This bolt was so intense it generated gamma rays. Most generate x-rays, but the most powerful bolts can produce gamma rays.. Anyway, lightning always fascinated me, which probably has nothing to do with having been nearly hit several times :rofl: Love catching lightning on cameras, though always afraid it's going to be a bit too close for comfort. Plus, gets expensive when it lets the magic smoke out of electronics.. they never work again :lol:

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Same here....been amazed and fascinated by lighting since I was a toddler. Probably why I would up being a traffic signal tech/electrician for 31 years...got shocked literally hundred of times during my career, some of them pretty nasty, most from 120VAC, a few 240VAC's and a couple of 277VAC's, several from 9 to 12Kv neon transformer secondaries, a few from caps in xenon strobe circuits for aircraft runway (REIL) lighting.

I've always felt that about the time you're feeling full of yourself and thinking how high-and-mighty we are as people, be out somewhere in a really bad electrical storm, have a nearby hit touchdown, feel the ground move, lose your hearing for about 20 seconds, smell the ozone and realize what little hair you have is standing straight up and if you don't feel tiny, ant-like and insignificant clinging to this spinning orb we call earth.....then you're not paying attention. :headbang::cool:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lightning came down a very mature pine in my dad's back yard about 15 years ago when he was still with us and followed its roots about 10 feet out to a water line then followed the water line maybe 20 feet toward the 250 gal. propane tank where it stopped about 10 feet from it. Where it followed the water line it plowed the ground and sod in a crooked pattern about 4 or 5 inches wide and several inches deep just like someone had used a crude hand plow......first time I've ever seen lightning plow dirt like that.

Now that's some power....and some handiwork, IMHO. :cool:

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Captured these a few years ago. Barn and tree are still there, I made a bee line for the barn as soon as the NVR came back up and I viewed the playback. No cameras lost but it restarted the system. Could not find any signs of damage or strike to the barn, the tree had obvious signs of a strike

View attachment 186674View attachment 186675
View attachment 186676View attachment 186677
I’d gently take a shovel to that piece of dirt, might score a nice piece of fulgurite under that grass.

Reaction score
I’d gently take a shovel to that piece of dirt, might score a nice piece of fulgurite under that grass.
fulgurite, had to look that up. Learn something new everyday around here. I’ll see what I can find, I really assumed I would be cutting that tree down several years ago but it still there looking healthy

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
fulgurite, had to look that up. Learn something new everyday around here. I’ll see what I can find, I really assumed I would be cutting that tree down several years ago but it still there looking healthy
I’ve got a couple just like that, they can hang on for decades. Eventually water gets into the split and then the fungi and carpenter ant’s hollow it out and one side gets blown down.

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Last time I was standing near a tree when lightning hit, it was a big white pine, and it was 20 ft from the house I was working IN (inside!). Lightning hit the tree, which exploded like it was full of TNT, splintered into fragments; but the lightning arc was not satisfied finding "earth" there. It jumped from the tree to the house, ran down the aluminum soffit trim, then arced into the open window I was about to close. Shot across the room, hit a bundle of LV cabling I'd just run, re-emerged from a light fixture in the room below, struck a floor receptacle, then shot out of the ceiling light in the basement, struck my 4-way power cord on the concrete floor, spider webbing the concrete. Scared the you know what out of the tile guy in basement, painter on the main floor, and me on the top floor. After I picked myself off the floor (literally), regained my vision (several seconds) and hearing (few minutes), and waht was left of our senses, we all went home for the day, changed underwear, and returned to the job the following day.. . The house had a weird, very strong odor of ozone and pine rosin for a while.
Few days later, I'm working on the same house, running alarm cables to the horse barn about 500 ft away. Just hooked up the alarm system in the house and barn, tested and was happy with all... until, BAM! Yep, another strike. This time hit the power pole end of driveway. Ran in on the house service GROUND, blew up everything electrical. Melted the alarm panel circuit board traces, and burned through several cables. What a mess. Lighting hit around that house so many times while I was there I lost count. I saw lightning hit the metal sliding door track on the barn one of the last days I was there... fried the last of my door sensors. Everything was protected with MOVs and GDTs... made no difference. When lightning hits that close, and it's a high amp bolt, does not matter what you do to protect circuits aside from physically disconnecting and storing in a Faraday cage! That was the first time I'd seen lighting damage go reverse - not in on utility mains, but run backwards from the ground up into the house wiring & connected systems.
Another client house, top of the mountain, another storm. Lightning seeks out and finds a tall red oak. Splits the top part, blows off some bark, but otherwise seems ok considering all. My client's Mercedes, parked in the driveway below, did not fare so well. No apparent damage until he tried to start it. Every display and indicator lit up ACHTUNG ACHTUNG! Nothing worked. Blew out every computer onboard. Back to the dealer for some very expensive repairs. Strangley, lightning never hit or damaged my 5.8GHz PTP microwave antenna 65 ft up in a fir tree, though lightning struck the property frequently. No rhyme or reason. Hits where it wants, doesn't hit where it doesn't want. Strange phenomena...
After seeing lightning zip through the interior of a 3 story house like a drunk bat, I'm not sure where is safe... I just try to avoid anything electrical, metallic, and grounded (appliances, HVAC, metal plumbing etc). Still, it's so amazing and fascinating to watch... from a distance, a very LONG distance. :cool:

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
here's a still shot I caught with my SLR camera... upstate SC, near NC line. Summer, typical evening t-storm. Friend bets me I can't get a shot of lightning using a SLR. She lost the bet. Strike was about 1 mile (1.6km) away. But other storms hit my friends' horse barn, and repeatedly hit the well house, blowing up the well pump several times. Got tired of pulling the pump & replacing. How do you adequately ground a pump that sits in 200 ft of water? Ended up putting in a ground rod array around the pump house. That seemed to work... or lightning just decided to move on to easier targets. :rolleyes::idk:

Attachments