Light ideas

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey, its been awhile since I posted on the forums, but this light obliterates my camera at night. Any ideas on ways to make it not do that besides turning the light off?Driveway 2022-07-05 09.31.14.97 PM.jpg

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh wait - a day shot from the wheel of the car towards the fixture?

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Lol this picture was taken before I installed it.

Do you mind drawing on the picture exactly where you're referencing?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe a 12" x 12" or ?" x ?" piece of flat sheet metal, painted flat black, across the top? Use a cardboard mock up until you get the size/shape right?
If it works, do both fixtures for some symmetry?
:idk:

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe a 12" x 12" or ?" x ?" piece of flat sheet metal, painted flat black, across the top? Use a cardboard mock up until you get the size/shape right?
If it works, do both fixtures for some symmetry?
:idk:
Oh that's not a bad idea at all. I might test that with cardboard tonight.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Those lights look like they're open from top to bottom as well as all sides. That's going to be a tough nut to crack. Maybe think about new lights with a canopy that projects like the brim of a hat to shield/prevent light from getting up. Even then you'll need to carefully orient the camera angle to minimize, or hopefully eliminate, the glare. I've used "privacy screens" in the camera, itself, to eliminate hot spots like that which can also be worth a try.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about sticking it just inside the recessed part (the frame) of the garage door ? Test it first before drilling holes LOL. But that might give just enough shield

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Those lights look like they're open from top to bottom as well as all sides. That's going to be a tough nut to crack. Maybe think about new lights with a canopy that projects like the brim of a hat to shield/prevent light from getting up. Even then you'll need to carefully orient the camera angle to minimize, or hopefully eliminate, the glare. I've used "privacy screens" in the camera, itself, to eliminate hot spots like that which can also be worth a try.
Those light fixtures are wife improved and installed by me haha so I don't think I'll be able to replace them.
I'm gonna try blocking the light up, but then I'm open to moving it. I should have plenty of extra slack to test out other installs. If not I'll have to make another run.

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So after looking at my lights a little closer. The light fixture is closed up top and coming from the side.

I will have to move the camera most likely. Will test out the inside of the garage trim area.

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Moving it did the trick!

Also, my wife said she would rather have a white camera there sooo guess I gotta order another one... :)

Driveway 2022-07-17 10.32.07.791 PM.jpg

Love when the install goes really smooth. However, I spent way too much time in the attic trying to drill down while my knees were down on two 2x4s. I finally gave up and just drill down through my ceiling in the corner that I will install a grommet for later.

Also, thats my LPR camera IR spotlight lol

20220717_155025.jpg20220717_154801.jpg