License Plates at Night

lapolonyc

n3wb
Reaction score

I am trying to catch these bastards at night. What lens would you guys recommend. I tried everything so far without any success getting the plates.

Currently using 1/3" 12mm F1.8. (I also turned off IR)

Thank you in advance.

M

Attachments

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's with 12mm lens already!? I can see the difficulty. Partially I think more ambient light would really help. It's tough when the headlights will hit the lens at the same time you need to see the plate, So no IR. Even if some light reflected off the plate, because of the reflective metallic paint, it might just be enough to get a clear frame.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I get good plate capture with a Hik mini bullet with a 12mm lens, IR on, mounted at the front of my garage, no problem at night. I'm getting them about 30' from the street, as far as about 50' down the street, so about a 32-38 degree angle depending on where the car is on the street. Headlights, even large ones have not been a problem. I choose this sample because of the giant truck headlights since that's a concern but I have good captures from cars furthers out of all shares and sizes and distance from the curb. All are moving, albeit under 10mph as they round the cul-de-sac.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
that's an amazing shot and perfect conditions for this type of capture. it looks like the tree even helps some w/ one of the headlights. very valuable setup there.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Camera is out of the box in that I just mounted and set it up. The trick with license plate capture with this camera is to set the max shutter at 1/200th and gain about 75. Do this for night, and daytime use the standard default exposure. You can set different settings on this camera in the image menu, the top option, set it time switch instead of auto switch. Then you can set the start/end time for day and night exposure (this is not related to day/night IR filter switch). Also, i set WDR during the day when there's a lot of contrast from the sun, but set WDR off at night.

As for this shot, I picked it because the big headlights and it pointing toward the camera. Most of my plate capture are not as close to the curb and headlights not pointed towards the camera.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm curious. What camera are you using that showed a nice license plate night shot?
THanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm curious. What camera are you using that showed a nice license plate night shot?
THanks
Unfortunately, Carl, the NetworkCameraCritic, recently passed away. That shot was taken with a Hikvision 2032 mini bullet camera and a 12mm lens.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
even though he is gone, Carl is still with us as a CyberGhost.. I have a feeling he will helping people from beyond the grave for many years to come.. his site is registered until 2017 and I have a mirror of his site archived just-incase.

edit: just noticed this new post on his site, looks like someone is trying to fill his shoes: http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2625

Last edited by a moderator:

hammertym

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Carl, the NetworkCameraCritic, recently passed away. That shot was taken with a Hikvision 2032 mini bullet camera and a 12mm lens.
Where would you source the 12mm model from, on alibaba I can only see the 6mm version.

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
He also recommended switching the lens to a 25mm one from wrightwood, I tried the procedure and have good results.