Lets try this again

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Im a very high end engine builder, but my effort into IT stuff is virtually nothing
So cut me a little slack here...lol
I ordered an unmanaged 16 channel poe switch
At this point i do not want to use an nvr to start
I was talked into a non poe nvr, but at this point i dont want to figure that out right now as it appears i need to splice into the cat5 cable for the input into the nvr?
i wish id have gone with the poe nvr, but that ship has sailed
My BI PC is wifi to the router the whole house uses for its internet
Can i just plug the NetGear GS316PP say channel 16 into the ethernet port on my BI computer?
My question i guess after that is how do i find the cameras in the unmanaged switch since it has no IP address
Blue Iris is not seeing any cams
Is there some step im missing along the way

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The NVR should have one LAN/WAN port and that is what you plug thr switch to.

You need to go into each camera GUi and assign them an unique IP address number in the same subnet you are using.

If you simply plugged all the cameras in at the same time you now have IP conflicted all of them if they are all same brand.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Can i just plug the NetGear GS316PP say channel 16 into the ethernet port on my BI computer?
My question i guess after that is how do i find the cameras in the unmanaged switch since it has no IP address
Yes.

The easiest way to deal with IP addresses is to assign a static IP address to the wired network interface of the BI computer, and also assign static IP addresses to each of the cameras. All the addresses need to be in the same subnet, and it should not be the same subnet you are using for your regular LAN.

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The NVR should have one LAN/WAN port and that is what you plug thr switch to.

You need to go into each camera GUi and assign them an unique IP address number in the same subnet you are using.

If you simply plugged all the cameras in at the same time you now have IP conflicted all of them if they are all same brand.
im not using an nvr
simply a poe switch and a computer
im plugging 1 camera in and trying to get it to work

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming you have a Dahua follow this. If not Dahua then the IP address of whatever brand you have:

For this camera you will need to use Internet Explorer - not Edge or Chrome with IE tab, but plain ole Explorer. If you use another browser some of the settings won't hold, like tracking time.

The default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.108, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system.

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

1000001822.png

Then power up your camera and wait a few minutes.

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it your country and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Then reverse the process to put your computer back on your network IP address range.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

OR use the IPconfig Tool, but most of us prefer the above as it is one less program needed and one less chance for the cameras to phone home or for something to get screwed up.

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. Ive stumbled around enough to know where that is at, just not what to do with it...lol
shit
where does one get internet exploder...
I have one machine that is windows 7 pro, but everything i have is on that, and i dont really want to move it all to another machine
i bought a little lenova think center as a friend of mine runs his BI on it. But ive got no idea what else he has as a switch or nvr.
the guy that i work for that owns the racing opperation has a really good it guy, i just dont trust him to not be invasive if i had him set it up

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But some cams are better with explorer.

Explorer is still there and there are ways to get Explorer again.

The simple way is to change the BHO folder to another name like oldBHO and BAM Explorer is back...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\110.0.1512.48\

Then change BHO to oldBHO or something else and Explorer will open

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
What cameras do you have? That might help as far as more specific instructions. Some come set to a static IP out of the box. Some use DHCP. Some will want an app involved. Etc...

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What cameras do you have? That might help as far as more specific instructions. Some come set to a static IP out of the box. Some use DHCP. Some will want an app involved. Etc...
IPC-T5442TM-AS 2.8mm
IPC-T2431T-AS 2.8mm
IPC-T5442TM-AS 2.8mm
2 of each of these
they appear to have a static ip, so im going to try to go in the way ive been told to and see what i can do

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
holy shit, i got into the first one...lol.
question. Anytime i want to modify settings do i need to go to the cam direct or can i adjust through BI?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have to go into the camera direct. Bi simply takes whatever video is fed to it.

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You have to go into the camera direct. Bi simply takes whatever video is fed to it.
cool. thank you for your help. i now need to do the reverse thing and get it onto my computers default path
it remembers its address i assign it, but do i have to put each cam back into the same input in the switch when im done?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How you set it up from there is up to you. Do you vlan or dual nic or run it all on same ip subnet dictates the next step.

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How you set it up from there is up to you. Do you vlan or dual nic or run it all on same ip subnet dictates the next step.
i am plugging all the cams into the switch
running the switch to the ethernet port in the Bi computer
the Bi computer is wireless to the internet as it only has the 1 ethernet port
if that is what you mean

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK in that case find out what your wifi LAN subnet is and then make the cameras and ehternet port of the computer a different up subnet and then you have a dual nic system

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK in that case find out what your wifi LAN subnet is and then make the cameras and ehternet port of the computer a different up subnet and then you have a dual nic system
i believe they already are 2 different ip addresses in the system

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
and do i change cam to dchp to auto assign an ip, or manually give it 1
like say my ethernet is 1xx.2xx.1xx.123
do i force cam to xxx.xxx.xxx.2 for instance?