lens size and blindspot

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I understand getting a 2.8mm lens will give a wider viewing angle but will it also have less of a blindspot than a 3.6mm lens?

If I approach one of my cameras at about 2 feet I disappear from view, this isn't much of a problem if I approach head on. The problem I run into is if someone goes onto my neighbors property or if my neighbor just walks onto my property in between the 2 feet blindspot, they would be able to get to the house side ally unnoticed.

Ideally I would have positioned the camera further back near the ally but it was just not possible. I don't really want to move the position of the camera, but I do need to order another camera to replace a reolink so am thinking of getting a 2.8mm lens this time if that makes any difference? I prefer the 3.6mm lens as it gets everything I want in view properly with no fish eye effect.

Otherwise in the future I can put up another camera pointing in the opposite direction which would give me eyes on the bindspot, but that is more work and added costs.

Reaction score
^ what he said.

Maybe a varifocal cam on a test rig would answer your question better. You have a 'blind spot' because your camera position and possibly your lens choice has caused this. Lower your FOV to get the 'blind spot' in frame.

If a view is very important, than using only one cam is not going to cut it.

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong but it seems excessive already with the amount of cameras I have pointing to the street at different angles, but I did plan for this by running extra cables but was hoping to avoid it.

Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong but it seems excessive already with the amount of cameras I have pointing to the street at different angles, but I did plan for this by running extra cables but was hoping to avoid it.
Only you can decide that. If you ask for help and it is given, then the next step is on you.

If you do not want to consider the opinions given as help if they contradict your opinion, then don't bother asking for help. It all boils down to your decision based on your experience and the opinions of folks here that mostly have way more experience than you. We do not have the knowledge of your particular home and what the views look like. We can only go on the info that you share.

Attitude here counts for a lot and drives what reactions one gets when asking for help. Frankly, I don't think 'you bedroom' listed as your location is funny and maybe tells me something about your attitude? We ask for folks to put a real location as it does help us knowing an approximate location when we give options. Like if you were in AU, there are several really knowledgeable Aussies here that could steer you to suppliers there.

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Only you can decide that. If you ask for help and it is given, then the next step is on you.

If you do not want to consider the opinions given as help if they contradict your opinion, then don't bother asking for help. It all boils down to your decision based on your experience and the opinions of folks here that mostly have way more experience than you. We do not have the knowledge of your particular home and what the views look like. We can only go on the info that you share.

Attitude here counts for a lot and drives what reactions one gets when asking for help. Frankly, I don't think 'you bedroom' listed as your location is funny and maybe tells me something about your attitude? We ask for folks to put a real location as it does help us knowing an approximate location when we give options. Like if you were in AU, there are several really knowledgeable Aussies here that could steer you to suppliers there.
wow - dunno what I said to cause that reaction? I agreed with the advice given that I maybe wrong and that why I asked for help.

Anyways I appreciate the feedback and will take it into consideration.