Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 CPU 100%

Sabot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Greeting all,
I have been limping along for the last year running Bi on my TS140 with my CPU almost always being maxed out. I added three of my four new 1MB 720P Hosafe cameras and my computer is now almost always maxed out unless I minimize Bi then the CPU drops to 90%. My Hikvision cams are acting funky. Every few minutes the image gets distorted with skew vertical lines. Since I always view the cameras remotely via the cool Java viewer, I don't mind minimizing Bi. I have 4 more 1MB
720P cameras coming in a month. Any suggestions on how I can tweak Bi to reduce the CPU usage? I'm not in a spot to move to a new platform, so I have to make due with what I have. Let me know what you need to know/see... Many thanks in advance!!!

Michael
[h=1][/h]

Sabot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is a screen. Blue Iris is minimized, thus the CPU usage is down to 75% range.

I only saw this error once... I powered cycled the box and I have not seen it again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Sabot, are you running all the cams in your signature at full resolution? 16 cameras and 32 megapixels total?
What frame rate?
Are you running all the cameras direct to disc?
Are you measuring cpu usage while logged in remotely via RDP or something like teamviewer or do you have a monitor attached to the system? I see teamviewer running. If you are logging in via team viewer, it will cause blue iris to artificially display more cpu usage and not attribute it to team-viewer.

Sabot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Sabot, are you running all the cams in your signature at full resolution? 16 cameras and 32 megapixels total?
What frame rate?
Are you running all the cameras direct to disc?
Are you measuring cpu usage while logged in remotely via RDP or something like teamviewer or do you have a monitor attached to the system? I see teamviewer running. If you are logging in via team viewer, it will cause blue iris to artificially display
more cpu usage and not attribute it to team-viewer.
8 Hikvisions are maxed out at 3MB each (24 megapixels)
4 Hosafes are maxed out at 1MB each (4 megapixels)
4 Mini IP cameras are not here yet. (I just ordered them)

Framer rate: 20 to 30

I use teamviewer when Im too lazy to go to the server to make adjustments. I can only use Teamviewer when I have Blue Iris minimized, which freezes up the CPU enough. It's still slow but workable. The CPU rates are when I am at the server.

I will need to check if I have them set to disk. It's been a while.

Many thanks for your quick response!!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Sabot, leave the DB database folder on the primary drive.
Set the receive buffer to 10-20 on each of your cameras.
Are you using direct to disc? What about the other questions in my post above?
EDIT: missed your post.
Lowering your frame rate to 15 should help. Also record to BVR format...
Direct to disc will have the biggest impact. Check each camera.

Sabot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Completed as you stated above. Restarted Blue Iris. CPU usage still similar to before, maybe a point or two drop.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Completed as you stated above. Restarted Blue Iris. CPU usage still similar to before, maybe a point or two drop.
You may have to drop your frame rates lower. Try 10....your processor is equivalent to a i5 haswell and 28mp may be too much, but it still should not be 100 percent. I have an i7-4770 running about 30 percent with 28mp...
When you testing the cpu, is there a client logged in pulling the webserver stream? Also, if you are displaying the video live, set the live frame rate to 10 (if you dont change your cameras), blue iris options>cameras.

Sabot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It dawned on me that I was only making the changes in Blue Iris. When I made the similar changes that you recommended in each camera's setting, the CPU usage dropped to 48-52 (idle) and 55-58 (capturing on 3 or more cameras at the same time) WOW.... You made a HUGE difference on my CPU usage!!!! Cutting it almost in half.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It dawned on me that I was only making the changes in Blue Iris. When I made the similar changes that you recommended in each camera's setting, the CPU usage dropped to 48-52 (idle) and 55-58 (capturing on 3 or more cameras at the same time) WOW.... You made a HUGE difference on my CPU usage!!!! Cutting it almost in half.
Great! If you are referring to fps changes, yes those must be done in the camera. Changing them on the video tab in blue iris has no effect.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't know how intensive team viewer is, but I use WinVNC, I love it.
I don't use BI though, but just throwing that out there about WinVNC