Lax security on Xfinity Mobile could lead to unauthorized sim swaps

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Call me cynical, but I think a big part of why various companies use sms based 2FA over more secure options is that it gets them a coveted piece of information about you they can sell to advertisers.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just came across this post. Perhaps I am supposed to create my own thread, but I just read about the Xfinity Mobile security, and it rives me nuts. They lock our phones, and we can't unlock them, and they still claim that they do it for security reasons. Can someone please explain to me what's going on with them?
They will unlock it after 60 days and if you pay off any balance. Verizon has the same policy. Likely all the others do as a well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new on this forum, but I saw your discussion about the Xfinity Mobile and wanted to chime in. To be honest, I also don't get why they keep locking their phones, so we can't use other SIM cards.
Because they've given you and interest-free loan on your phone and want to ensure that you're not going to walk away with that phone and move to another carrier.... And they want to ensure that they actually get paid for their phone. If you don't want your phone locked all you need to do is pay cash for it or pay off any remaining balance. It is locked the first 60 days to prevent somebody from using fraudulent means to obtain the phone unlocking it and then selling it. It's really that simple.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, they're getting better at it. I'd just reported several of the same style of posts here so I noticed that one.