Laview Doorbell 1080p aka Hikvision Keeps rebooting when IR comes on...Help!!

Boggie1688

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a Laview Doorbell cam. It is a finicky POS.

During the day it seems to work pretty well, however when night comes around all hell breaks loose. It seems to happen when the IR on the camera activates, it promptly causes the doorbell to reboot. Being that its dark out, this becomes a vicious loop. Camera reboots, doorbell dings, dog barks, camera reboots, doorbell dings, dog barks, etc etc etc.

I did a bit of digging, and someone suggested using a 16v 30amp transformer. Being that the transformer I had installed was a 16v 10amp, I upgraded. And.... I'm in a ding dong bark bark cycle of hell again. I really want to make this camera work because its cheap and works with zoneminder.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
It certainly sounds like a power issue.....

Can you put a voltage meter on it and see what type of power is being supplied at the camera when the issues arise?

Boggie1688

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot here after dinner. Gotta do all the troubleshooting at night because IR. >.<

Unless there is a transformer somewhere else, and I'm changing the wrong one.... Hmmmm...

Boggie1688

n3wb
Reaction score
It certainly sounds like a power issue.....

Can you put a voltage meter on it and see what type of power is being supplied at the camera when the issues arise?
Ok confirmed I got the right transformer.

Hooked up a multimeter, and turned closed the breaker for the circuit. Multimeter was reading 19.5V, and when the doorbell rings (which I think indicates a reboot) the voltage did not drop and held steady at 19.5V.

This is the second doorbell cam too! I first got the original Hikvision one, and out of frustration bought another one (Laview).

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok confirmed I got the right transformer.

Hooked up a multimeter, and turned closed the breaker for the circuit. Multimeter was reading 19.5V, and when the doorbell rings (which I think indicates a reboot) the voltage did not drop and held steady at 19.5V.

This is the second doorbell cam too! I first got the original Hikvision one, and out of frustration bought another one (Laview).
I'm wondering if it's not a hardware issue then. I doubt it is anything you will be able to fix. I'd reach out to Laview support and see if they have any suggestions or will warranty it out.

Boggie1688

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's not a hardware issue then. I doubt it is anything you will be able to fix. I'd reach out to Laview support and see if they have any suggestions or will warranty it out.
So I was being bone headed, and was measuring the voltage at the transformer. I measured at the doorbell, and low and behold right before it dings voltage drops way under 16V; to around 12V. So apparently this 16-24V spec is total BS. It needs at least a 20V transformer. I ran out to home depot really quick, and grabbed a 24V transformer, wired it in, and bam its working.

Only problem is that the junction box for this transformer is the little lock nut type and the 24V transformer is a clamp type. But now that I know the issue, it should be easy enough to find the right transformer.

Thank you VERY MUCH for suggesting the voltage meter, I'm as bone headed as the damn dog barking at the doorbell every 30 seconds.

Reaction score
So I was being bone headed, and was measuring the voltage at the transformer. I measured at the doorbell, and low and behold right before it dings voltage drops way under 16V; to around 12V. So apparently this 16-24V spec is total BS. It needs at least a 20V transformer. I ran out to home depot really quick, and grabbed a 24V transformer, wired it in, and bam its working.

Only problem is that the junction box for this transformer is the little lock nut type and the 24V transformer is a clamp type. But now that I know the issue, it should be easy enough to find the right transformer.

Thank you VERY MUCH for suggesting the voltage meter, I'm as bone headed as the damn dog barking at the doorbell every 30 seconds.
If you're using thin Cat-3 or Cat-5 twisted pair wires, try doubling up two conductors for each side of the doorbell power.

Reaction score

Is your LaView the DB5? If so, I think I have the same issue, as mine makes that annoying reboot tone at night, but is super quiet during the day.

Boggie1688

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure what my model number is. However, I can confirm upgrading the transformer did the trick.

I'm using a 24V 20A transformer I found on Amazon. Since then the doorbell has be stable.

Reaction score
Not sure what my model number is. However, I can confirm upgrading the transformer did the trick.

I'm using a 24V 20A transformer I found on Amazon. Since then the doorbell has be stable.
The same worked for me and my DB5. My transformer was 30-years-old and was a 5VA-10V. I'm surprised it even powered the during doorbell in the daytime. :lmao:

Anyhoo, I replaced it with a 24V 20A that I got from Home Depot (same Jackson that Amazon charges). Now, the nighttime IR works like a charm without constant reboots.

Thank you for all your assistance.