Latest thinking on favorite low-cost POE (indoor)

RROONNBB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Several years ago I bought one of the little Annke POE cameras for the basement but it's starting to behave erratically so I think it's about time to replace.

What's the latest thinking on a decent but lower-cost POE camera that might replace it? Low light is not particularly important but I do want audio. Bonus points for not being huge and ugly.

(FYI, I've got about 8 modern Dahua starlights mounted outside the house/property, all feeding into dedicated Blue Iris PC so I'm well aware of the tradeoffs... like I said this is just a cheapy one to keep an eye on the kids when they're playing in the basement.)

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
EDIT - @sebastiantombs beat me to it!

Our resident Dahua third party distributor has just listed some refurbished cameras. Refubished List

In that list is the IPC-K42A which is a 4mp POE indoor camera from Dahua. It has a microphone built in along with a speaker, so two way audio is possible (depending on your NVR system). It's $45 + shipping which is a great bargain (they are listed new on Amazon for $79 with free prime shipping - ). He had 4 listed this morning.

RROONNBB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The Amcrests do need a wall wart, unfortunately, but are pretty decent little cameras for the price as well.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Very timely post too (baby cam was the other one). Been thinking I need to get serious about an indoor camera that points out the front window near the door. Would rather have one of those than a doorbell camera I think. Sent Andy a message about a refurb IPC-K42A .

...now to see about a camera with extreme zoom capabilities to ID license plates at a distance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Very timely post too (baby cam was the other one). Been thinking I need to get serious about an indoor camera that points out the front window near the door. Would rather have one of those than a doorbell camera I think. Sent Andy a message about a refurb IPC-K42A .

...now to see about a camera with extreme zoom capabilities to ID license plates at a distance.
That would be the 5241-Z12E. Andy has one on his refurb list as well!

Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my Z12E that is on the 2nd story soffit, My angle is about 40 degrees vertical, 50 degrees horizontal. Camera is 35 feet above street at this location. At night we have to run fast shutters to capture the plates (1/2,000) so the image is black except for the plate and head/tail lights.

1647468406944.png

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That would be the 5241-Z12E. Andy has one on his refurb list as well!

Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my Z12E that is on the 2nd story soffit, My angle is about 40 degrees vertical, 50 degrees horizontal. Camera is 35 feet above street at this location. At night we have to run fast shutters to capture the plates (1/2,000) so the image is black except for the plate and head/tail lights.

View attachment 122334
Excellent! I was eyeing that one too. Now I need to convince my wife we need it (to protect the new baby of course!). Apologies for the threadjack.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Excellent! I was eyeing that one too. Now I need to convince my wife we need it (to protect the new baby of course!). Apologies for the threadjack.
As your other thread shows, that video mainly shows what time it happened. Obviously the car could be stolen or could have no plates or fake plates, but LPR increases the chances of finding out who it is!