Latency an issue for IP cams when daisy chaining switches?

thisGuy

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking at an installation covering a fairly large area, so I'd like to be able to daisy-chain 3-4 POE-enabled switches in series, each of which will be up to 200' away from one another, and each one of which (aside from the main one in the closet, which will be progressively farther away) will run three or four nearby 2-3 MP cams. The geographical topography is such that this just seems the most efficient approach, while maintaining the <100 meter suggested limit per run.
I'm just concerned whether this might introduce possible problems such as latency. I hope to have two separate branches like this connected to that first main switch, which will in turn be gatewayed (CAN that be a verb?) to a router for DHCP serving. I'm thinking the switches should all have 1Gbt capability.

Really appreciate any opinions on this...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not that you'll be able to measure.. as long as none of the uplinks are saturated.

Abbell

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Gigabit switches would be hard pressed to be saturated. IP cameras require only a 10/100 connection to stream. I have 8 analog cameras streaming to Blue Iris and another 7 cameras ranging from 1MP to 4MP streaming to the same computer using intermediary routers. I have zero latency issues beyond what is normal for the cameras. My network connection on the Blue Iris server is right at 4% when I check on it remotely.