Last night was busy...

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Around eight last night someone drove by and threw a rock at my car, set off the alarm.

Then just before five this morning kids parked and started checking for unlocked cars.
Hikvision:

Aote:

Last edited by a moderator:

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Man you're right, your neighborhood did have a busy night!! To bad you couldn't get license plate of their vehicle!

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I posted this on a similar door-checking video thread, so forgive me for being repetitive. Since you seem to live in a hot-spot area for this kind of stuff, you might just want to consider doing what I've done...

Get this radar-based motion detector for your car. Plug it into your cigarette lighter if need be. Get this wireless doorbell. Solder the ground wire from the motion-detector to one side of the doorbell transmitter push button, and the green (or blue) wire the other side of same button.

You can adjust the motion detector to trip anytime someone gets within a few inches of the car (i.e. contacts the door knob to check if it's locked). That will signal you silently in the house. Grab your two best friends (Smith & Wesson) and head for the door. Or, if you're so-inclined, call 911 and let them know you have prowlers on your street. Then microwave a bowl of popcorn, and enjoy the show!

The problem with these videos is that we rarely are awake when it happens. They're almost always after-the-fact. This would put an end to that.

I'm using a slightly more elaborate system through my z-wave/Vera Edge home automation system. That allows me a bit more flexibility as to what devices are activated by the trigger - but a wireless doorbell (or remote light switch) would do just fine.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Omega AU-94TM works better than the DEI version. I installed it in the middle of my headliner, adjusted it accordingly and haven't had a problem. The DE I radar sensor is real finicky.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The Omega AU-94TM works better than the DEI version.
Sorry to OP for hijacking... I'm glad you said that. Have you worked with both? I was on the fence with which one to get, but given the number and quality of reviews on the DEI, I chose that one.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've used both. The DEI version is either to sensitive and gives a bunch of false warning, or not sensitive enough. I tried the Omega and it worked perfectly especially with me having to tinted windows. I also added the 506T glass breakage sensor, 520t battery backup, 506M tilt sensor and 513T interior piezo siren!

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It took me a week to get it all wired in and setup properly.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
That's good to know. If I start having false alarms, I'll have a plan b... thx.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I posted this on a similar door-checking video thread, so forgive me for being repetitive. Since you seem to live in a hot-spot area for this kind of stuff, you might just want to consider doing what I've done...

Get this radar-based motion detector for your car. Plug it into your cigarette lighter if need be. Get this wireless doorbell. Solder the ground wire from the motion-detector to one side of the doorbell transmitter push button, and the green (or blue) wire the other side of same button.

You can adjust the motion detector to trip anytime someone gets within a few inches of the car (i.e. contacts the door knob to check if it's locked). That will signal you silently in the house. Grab your two best friends (Smith & Wesson) and head for the door. Or, if you're so-inclined, call 911 and let them know you have prowlers on your street. Then microwave a bowl of popcorn, and enjoy the show!

The problem with these videos is that we rarely are awake when it happens. They're almost always after-the-fact. This would put an end to that.

I'm using a slightly more elaborate system through my z-wave/Vera Edge home automation system. That allows me a bit more flexibility as to what devices are activated by the trigger - but a wireless doorbell (or remote light switch) would do just fine.
This sort of thing virtually never happens in my area. If it happened with any regularity I would get something like this. Doing this from cars is quite stupid on these kids' part; if you saw them you could run out and read their plate as they sped off.

I think I mentioned it in another thread but I bought a wireless mailbox alarm a long time ago. It would fire the internal receiver--with incredible reliability--when it detected light. I'm sure the transmitter could have been mounted near a motion detecting spotlight and since those things use PIR sensors they are pretty good at not giving false positives.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This doesn't happen very often, every couple of years. Still nice to have the cameras up and running.

The first video was a disappointing with them set to color. I then change them to black and white at night.

Any comments on the settings are welcome.