Labor Cost to do Cat run and mounting camera in Northern California ?

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi I am trying to get some camera installed. and so far some of the prices I am getting are so ridiculous that cannot justify it..

I was wondering if I can get some input what people have paid out here to contractors to do the cat runs and mounting camera ..

So I have a two story house.. So Some of the cost estimates Are like

Contractor # 1 - 185 / hr .. Estimating it will be around $5000 by the time they are done.. Again this is for 8-10 cameras and I am providing all the material. This is just labor..

Contractor # 2 A flat labor rate of about $3300.. Again I am providing all the materials.

Contractor #3 A flat labor rate of about $4000 ..

My Question is even Doctors don't make that much hourly. so how do I justify this price ?

What hourly price you think at least is fair ?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Are they all licensed and Insured ? I cannot speak for your state but doing business In NY is not a heck of a lot better , they seem a little high. Thank all your rules and regulations for part of that. I have used a few guys that get $120 a hour here but they can usually bang it out in a day or two, I have retired Verizon guys that will help me also at times. So to answer your question It does seem a bit high but seems they all get what they get.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Whom is giving these quotes.
Talk to a licensed electricians that are certified in low voltage.
$150 per cable drop is somewhere in the ball part in the normal part of the country, but you're not in the normal part of the country. ;)

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
So the first contractor is a Alarm Installation company .. So he is licensed. Other two contractors are just off thumbtack.

Whom is giving these quotes.
Talk to a licensed electricians that are certified in low voltage.
$150 per cable drop is somewhere in the ball part in the normal part of the country, but you're not in the normal part of the country. ;)
Thank You Looney. I guess I will start calling in Some Low Voltage Electricians.. And See what quotes I get.. Hopefully I can find someone reasonable :( I was thinking $1200-1400 for labor.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
FYI: you may know this, but mounting cams on 2nd story parts of a house is usually not a good idea if you want to ID anyone.
They just going to come down to 13 ft but the cable has to go from like First attic to 2nd attic. So camera wont be any higher than 13 feet is that okay ? so more like 2nd story floor or under the 2nd story floor..

But only way we can go there is by fishing wire thru walls thru the 2nd attic or I will have conduit everywhere..

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They just going to come down to 13 ft but the cable has to go from like First attic to 2nd attic. So camera wont be any higher than 13 feet is that okay ? so more like 2nd story floor or under the 2nd story floor..

But only way we can go there is by fishing wire thru walls thru the 2nd attic or I will have conduit everywhere..
Just because it's an alarm company, doesn't mean they know what they are doing,
8ft is better, otherwise you just see tops of heads. Talk to an electrician that does this everyday, and has the proper tools, and he can most likely put the wire anywhere needed without using conduit and keeping it hidden.
If you haven't, study this>>cliff notes

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Just because it's an alarm company, doesn't mean they know what they are doing,
8ft is better, otherwise you just see tops of heads. Talk to an electrician that does this everyday, and has the proper tools, and he can most likely put the wire anywhere needed without using conduit and keeping it hidden.
If you haven't, study this>>cliff notes
That is also my feeling.. The alarm company does state they install CCTV camera but I think they way they are charging us it is more of trial and error . .for them and they are just overbidding and hoping they will still be left over with lot of money .. By charging a lot up front.

I agree with Chris as well someone who knows what they are doing .. Can easily knock it off in a day or two.. I do NOT understand how these guys think or make it sound like its almost a full week job .. Like 4-5 days..

Anyhow .. Again thank you Looney And I went over the cliff notes.. Just now done reading them lot of useful information. Thank you to everyone to making those notes.

I know it says 8 ft for good view I just also got A PTZ from Andy its quite big was wondering if that can be a bit higher than 8 ft because .. It might just look like a target for someone going from street since its so big and obvious LOL.

But On the other note I love the built quality on all these camera and specially on this PTZ I got from andy the SD6CE245U-HNI. You think I can mount that camera may be say 10-12 feet ? or still 8ft. I know according to cliff notes it specifically says 8ft..with good angle off course. But with PTZ I can PAN TILT ZOOM.

Anyhow For now I guess I am still shopping around for contractors.. Once again thank you everyone!!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is also my feeling.. The alarm company does state they install CCTV camera but I think they way they are charging us it is more of trial and error . .for them and they are just overbidding and hoping they will still be left over with lot of money .. By charging a lot up front.

I agree with Chris as well someone who knows what they are doing .. Can easily knock it off in a day or two.. I do NOT understand how these guys think or make it sound like its almost a full week job .. Like 4-5 days..

Anyhow .. Again thank you Looney And I went over the cliff notes.. Just now done reading them lot of useful information. Thank you to everyone to making those notes.

I know it says 8 ft for good view I just also got A PTZ from Andy its quite big was wondering if that can be a bit higher than 8 ft because .. It might just look like a target for someone going from street since its so big and obvious LOL.

But On the other note I love the built quality on all these camera and specially on this PTZ I got from andy the SD6CE245U-HNI. You think I can mount that camera may be say 10-12 feet ? or still 8ft. I know according to cliff notes it specifically says 8ft..with good angle off course. But with PTZ I can PAN TILT ZOOM.

Anyhow For now I guess I am still shopping around for contractors.. Once again thank you everyone!!
Yeah, I'd not want some joker figuring out what he's doing on my dime. Nope.
Good electrician, check his references.

Yes, the PTZ can be mounted higher if need be. Just remember in most instances, a PTZ will be looking in the wrong direction when something happens. ;)

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd not want some joker figuring out what he's doing on my dime. Nope.
Good electrician, check his references.

Yes, the PTZ can be mounted higher if need be. Just remember in most instances, a PTZ will be looking in the wrong direction when something happens. ;)
Agree ! I did read somewhere that in forum that is why I am having it covered by secondary camera at-least in my planning .. LOL I do not have anything up yet except arlo camera which are jokes anyways LOL.

But Yes Once I get these IP Camera mounted I will have dedicated cameras watching the target location and ptz for me to pretty much to look around .. and leave it to whatever it can capture.. still ..

Once again thank you for all your wonderful feedback I am learning a lot for my planning and deploying these cameras.. again I guess I will hold the PTZ camera I guess at 10 ft and see what I can see and adjust the height accordingly .. LOL before I even mount that beast

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Agree ! I did read somewhere that in forum that is why I am having it covered by secondary camera at-least in my planning .. LOL I do not have anything up yet except arlo camera which are jokes anyways LOL.

But Yes Once I get these IP Camera mounted I will have dedicated cameras watching the target location and ptz for me to pretty much to look around .. and leave it to whatever it can capture.. still ..

Once again thank you for all your wonderful feedback I am learning a lot for my planning and deploying these cameras.. again I guess I will hold the PTZ camera I guess at 10 ft and see what I can see and adjust the height accordingly .. LOL before I even mount that beast
Always good to test locations prior to permanent mounting. Use a 2x4, 5gal bucket and rocks.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Always good to test locations prior to permanent mounting. Use a 2x4, 5gal bucket and rocks.
That is a great Idea to do the test not sure If I saw this idea anywhere .. Before But heck yea that sounds it will work fine for the testing purpose.. Before I decide Where I want the holes.. Thank You Looney !!!! You are the best when it comes to ideas and suggestion for cameras..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi I am trying to get some camera installed. and so far some of the prices I am getting are so ridiculous that cannot justify it..

I was wondering if I can get some input what people have paid out here to contractors to do the cat runs and mounting camera ..

So I have a two story house.. So Some of the cost estimates Are like

Contractor # 1 - 185 / hr .. Estimating it will be around $5000 by the time they are done.. Again this is for 8-10 cameras and I am providing all the material. This is just labor..

Contractor # 2 A flat labor rate of about $3300.. Again I am providing all the materials.

Contractor #3 A flat labor rate of about $4000 ..

My Question is even Doctors don't make that much hourly. so how do I justify this price ?

What hourly price you think at least is fair ?
Hi @tech101

How much did your house cost in the bay area?
How much does rent cost for the bay area?

Yes - you are going to have to expect to pay more for labor in that market, unless uber or some other gig economy company has setup a cabling shop.

( The bay area is just insanely expensive to be a normal worker - basically anyone not getting crazy stock options )

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @tech101

How much did your house cost in the bay area?
How much does rent cost for the bay area?

Yes - you are going to have to expect to pay more for labor in that market, unless uber or some other gig economy company has setup a cabling shop.
I can understand the pricing depends on area but again 1-2 day job .. Cannot be justified with lets say 3.5k .. does not matter bayarea or not and again in my area 2 bedroom apartment around 1800-2200 say .. So You are saying because rent is about say 2000 it is okay to charge almost double that amount for a one day or two day job.. I dont think so..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can understand the pricing depends on area but again 1-2 day job .. Cannot be justified with lets say 3.5k .. does not matter bayarea or not and again in my area 2 bedroom apartment around 1800-2200 say .. So You are saying because rent is about say 2000 it is okay to charge almost double that amount for a one day or two day job.. I dont think so..
Hi Tech101 -

No I DID NOT say it is OK "..to charge almost double that amount for a one day or two day job"

I implied you have to expect workers to seek higher compensation due to the cost of living in the bay area.

Seriously look at the demand / supply issues in the bay area and the cost of living.

You can shop around for better quotes - OR DIY. I prefer the DIY route if you own the home.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't even live in an expensive area and it is not uncommon for contractors to charge $80-90 per hour per person on a job and some include their own travel time in this. I paid over $250 for a pair of HVAC installers to commute and another grand for their time including their lunch break. F*k. I'm not even talking about college-educated people either.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Thankyou Bp2008 and mat200 True most of the contractor I got quote from were not licensed.. Either so no insurance either.. So it was like ahh What ?? Again I agree with mat200 I do own the house I guess a DIY Can be one way to go .. I guess I always will have that option.

And Yes BP2008 I am kind of only getting paid $40 an hour .. in the bayarea that is after 2 -3 year of college.

Again Doctor are also in high demand .. And they probably went to school for 7+ or may be more years.. And the risk involved even they don't get that much .. considering there liability insurance and stuff.. anyhow before it gets too much out of topic LOL. I agree I just don't want to be part of there demand when they think they can charge whatever the heck they think they can..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thankyou Bp2008 and mat200 True most of the contractor I got quote from were not licensed.. Either so no insurance either.. So it was like ahh What ?? Again I agree with mat200 I do own the house I guess a DIY Can be one way to go .. I guess I always will have that option.

And Yes BP2008 I am kind of only getting paid $40 an hour .. in the bayarea that is after 2 -3 year of college.

Again Doctor are also in high demand .. And they probably went to school for 7+ or may be more years.. And the risk involved even they don't get that much .. considering there liability insurance and stuff.. anyhow before it gets too much out of topic LOL. I agree I just don't want to be part of there demand when they think they can charge whatever the heck they think they can..
Hi Tech101,

IF you have the available time - I would definitely go the DIY route, or at least go through the planning stages - because you should do this anyways so you can properly tell the contractor what you want.

Yes, a good contractor will do a good job.

Having had to deal with numerous sloppy contractors that others hired ( really,.. a 90 degree corner should be EASY to figure out how to check for when framing! ... ) - I've learned that only a few imho did a "A" quality job ( maybe 10-20% ) So...

If you've got the time - imho it is better to get to be the master of your home and DIY

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
@tech101 ,

I'd go to the CA State Licensing Board here and search for 3 "C-7 Low Voltage" licensed contractors in your area and get 3 bids.
Thankyou Tony that is a great way to get some quotes did NOT even think of this.. Thanks !! I will try this method.. At-least this way for sure they will be licensed at-least..