JVSG design software? other alternatives?

GH75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone using this?

I gave the demo a whirl today and so far so good except the system keeps giving me errors, and something happened with the camera database. I added a custom manufacturer (our own brand) and it associated that brand with other brands...

So maybe not so good so far.

I do like being able to show clients 3d views and what they will get, since we do alot of outdoor areas, parking lots etc. I like being able to adjust the lens and get an instant visualization.

But I can not add switches, wireless links etc. Any other programs out there? I looked at CCTVCAD and it does not seem to offer that either

vsmax

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Drew91101 for the link to a free Vivotek version. But the thing is that version contains Vivitek cameras only.
And in case if you design video surveillance systems with other cameras you need to download a trial or paid version from JVSG website.

Stanislav7

n3wb
Reaction score
VideoCAD is much more powerful and multifunction CCTV design tool but it is not such widely advertised. The most of JVSG's features have been copied from VideoCAD. Please compare its capabilities.
There are several versions from Starter to Professional for different requirements and skill levels. There is free CCTV design lens calculator with rich capabilities

There are no limits of camera models in VideoCAD. VideoCAD can model much more camera parameters especially valuable parameters of IP cameras (real resolution, sensitivity, exposure time, lens resolution, F-stop and distortion, rolling shutter and many other). However VideoCAD does not contain ready "Camera database of all cameras of the World". Such database simplifies camera choice for unskilled designers but brings many errors. It is only marketing tool.

But I can not add switches, wireless links etc. Any other programs out there? I looked at CCTVCAD and it does not seem to offer that either
You can draw switches, wireless links etc in VideoCAD by lines and shapes but it is better to use it for its main purpose - placing and modeling cameras. Site plan can be imported and camera placing can be exported to general purpose CAD software for next processing.

Last edited:

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've used the tool before and it has been great. It allowed me to deliver a project successfully knowing how many cameras to accurately suggest to a customer and purchase without guessing.

Not sure why you'd want to add networking components on the same plan, Visio (or an alternative) is better suited to that.