Just Got It. Plug it Into Ethernet?

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just got my first W5431 and it's a lovely impressive, well made piece of gear.

Seems to me.

But neither the piece of paper it comes with nor the manual on the disk tell me in plain language how to start.

Can I/should I just plug it into an ethernet line connecting it to my modem/router on our LAN?

That's what I'd instinctively do but here I see we need 12V and I don't know what current.

Can the/will the router provide that as a matter of course, no damage to anything? Or I have to get a 'power injector' gadget I've vaguely heard about and which I think perhaps power ethernet lines? Or I've got it all wrong?

Just plug it in, find it the list of attached devices, open configuration page and start right in?

Or does it plug into the pc the way a webcam does, for instance? Either/or, whichever I wish - or one only?

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The cameras do not need the 12v power connected, just an ethernet with power over ethernet or POE. You will need a switch that supports poe, or a poe injector as you guessed. The cameras are not intended to be plugged into a pc directly.

There's a lot of quick start guides on google, but log into the camera at 192.168.1.108, with a user/pass of admin/admin. Sometimes you may have to mess with the ip address of the computer you are using as well to put it in a 192.168.1 subnet before you change the ip address of the camera.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah, good. Thanks for getting back to me.

So before I can do anything I need to get an appropriate router - I suppose a router can do this poe capable switch thing? - or a switch - or a poe injector , one of the three?

I see the warnings about using both power supplies. But if I connect 12v up that'll be okay together with an ethernet connection given that the ethernet has not got 12V on it if I don't get an injector?

See what I mean?

Can I start by putting 12V on the power line (what Watts?) to power it and plug into ethernet to the router for comms?

There's no hard switch on it anywhere to tell it I'm expecting it to power itself from the 12V input, is there?

Just while I"m shopping for a switch or an injector. So's I can check it's working before I report back to the vendor I've received it in good condition.

When I get a switch, if I go that way, it plugs into my router?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, good. Thanks for getting back to me.

So before I can do anything I need to get an appropriate router - I suppose a router can do this poe capable switch thing? - or a switch - or a poe injector , one of the three?

I see the warnings about using both power supplies. But if I connect 12v up that'll be okay together with an ethernet connection given that the ethernet has not got 12V on it if I don't get an injector?

See what I mean?

Can I start by putting 12V on the power line (what Watts?) to power it and plug into ethernet to the router for comms?

There's no hard switch on it anywhere to tell it I'm expecting it to power itself from the 12V input, is there?

Just while I"m shopping for a switch or an injector. So's I can check it's working before I report back to the vendor I've received it in good condition.

When I get a switch, if I go that way, it plugs into my router?
Hi Abrogard,

Remember to check out giomania's notes, he has the procedure documented.

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Remember not to connect the camera to the internet until you have changed the default password as well as figured out what you want to do to protect it. ( VPN, firewall )

You can buy either a PoE switch or an AC power adapter/PoE injector. I would recommend getting a PoE switch at this point - even if a small one to work with this unit.
Plug your PC into that switch with the camera and configure the camera as per the above instructions, and the instructions which Giomania's notes refer to.

Have fun!

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you look for a 12v ac adapter, about 1a, with the right sized dc barrel and use the lan tail for lan, and dc tail for power, the camera should go enough for you to play with.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I checked that thread out. He says plug it straight into the pc at one point there - after changing the subnet to put the pc on the same subnet as the camera's default IP.

So that'd be quick and easy if I could do that?

Meanwhile I"ve got some 12V supplies around and could probably find one to fit so that's a possibility.

As for switches or injectors I've been taking a quick look around. I can get an injector for less than $50 here. 5 poty poe switches are about $100 and more.

I don't plan to run ethernet cables all around the house - I was going to use wifi. Just this initial setup operation is what I want the ethernet for.

But at $50 v $100 I might well get a switch and have the options there. I see they come in different power out ranges.

What range should I look to get as a minimum?

TP-Link sells the cheaper stuff. Are they alright? Their injectors are cheaper and their 5 port is only $59 instead of > $100

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. I checked that thread out. He says plug it straight into the pc at one point there - after changing the subnet to put the pc on the same subnet as the camera's default IP.

So that'd be quick and easy if I could do that?

Meanwhile I"ve got some 12V supplies around and could probably find one to fit so that's a possibility.

As for switches or injectors I've been taking a quick look around. I can get an injector for less than $50 here. 5 poty poe switches are about $100 and more.

I don't plan to run ethernet cables all around the house - I was going to use wifi. Just this initial setup operation is what I want the ethernet for.

But at $50 v $100 I might well get a switch and have the options there. I see they come in different power out ranges.

What range should I look to get as a minimum?

TP-Link sells the cheaper stuff. Are they alright? Their injectors are cheaper and their 5 port is only $59 instead of > $100
FYI - Giomania has put together a list of PoE switches which we have been discussing here..
Look for his posts and PoE switch

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
o.k. good, thanks.

edit:

right, took a look, impressive piece of work. He doesn't criticize TP-Link so I'll assume they're generally okay.

I'll decide what to do. Seems pretty certain I can't do anything before getting another piece of gear. Unless that connect to the pc was correct..... in which case I could just hook it up now and go for it....

Last edited:

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you look for a 12v ac adapter, about 1a, with the right sized dc barrel and use the lan tail for lan, and dc tail for power, the camera should go enough for you to play with.
Well I plugged it into 12V and no lights lit up - there's no indication its alive at all. Should there be?
There's no indication on it but I assume positive central pole would be what it is? That's just about standard globally isn't it? Anyway it is what my power supply is.

And then I put an ethernet cable between it and the router and checked the router for connected devices. It didn't see it.

I am doubtful about this ethernet thing. Because of the PoE and 'don't use both power sources'. My plugging a normal ethernet line in like that couldn't do any harm could it? I'd like some reassurance on that.

There's no sign anywhere of an on/off switch. I can't get the hatch open yet - it uses those special 'security' screws with the 'star' head.

There's no help comes with the thing. The piece of paper only warns: 'it may cause damage to the device if it fails to power the device according to the device label'.

And my label says for power : 12V = 1A/POE and I'm not sure what to make of that.

Sure I can use the 12V line?

Where else can I ask for help on this beyond these forums?

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Plugging a regular ethernet cable will not hurt it. Get a POE injector or poe switch to power it. You can use the 12V line, but it needs to be correctly wired and working.

There is no on off switch. Plug it in and go.

Are you positive you cannot "see" the camera? Did you try to connect to the default ip adddress and was your laptop on the same subnet? Was your laptop also connected to a wireless network at the time?

Did you use a crossover cable or a regular cable? I have never plugged it directly into an ethernet port on a computer, if it were me i would at least plug it into a switch or your router.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy said I needed a 2A 12V supply. So I got one of them. I got a 2.5A. Still no light on the device.

I didn't plug into my pc. I plugged into the router. It usually sees any device attached to it I think, regardless of subnet but I won't swear to that. But I think such devices simply come up without a Lan IP.

It didn't see the camera.

I can't get a simple answer to the question should there be a light when I plug power in? But it certainly seems implied that there should be.

Seems to me to be the simple first fitness test: does it power up?

Andy most recently said that it is difficult to see the light in day conditions. He can't believe the power is not working because they check them before they leave.

No, not the same subnet. Our subnet IP's are the 10.x.x.x series. I'll have to change the router. Got to find how to do that and reluctant to do it until I know what's going on. If is is powerless it's pointless.

I will follow giomania's notes and try a pc connection tomorrow. I didn't read them fully last time - I now see all that stuff at the bottom. He says quite clearly the pc connection is fine so that'll be easier to change the subnet and leaves the router alone. I will like that.

Last edited:

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK - I just went to one of my cameras and unplugged it and replugged it back in.

In a dark room, and it did nothing. I got no lights at all that I could see, nothing to indicate it was working. In fact if I didn't know the camera was working perfectly it looked dead. I put my hand on it and did not feel any focus or movement or anything.

So your camera is probably working perfectly.

The camera does not do DHCP by default, so there's almost no chance it will just show up in your router as default configured. I am betting its working fine.

You don't have to change the router, what I do is only change the pc i am configuring with. Then I configure the camera for proper subnet, then reboot everything....

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ahhh..... thank you, suddenstop, lovely, addresses my concerns, straight to the point. I just amended my last post saying I'll do the pc setup tomorrow, coincidentally, as you were writing your post.

Things are looking a whole lot better. Thanks. So maybe the light comes on only when it is powered AND communicating with a network? Or only on alarms or something? I thought that might be the case that's why I kept asking. Having a light on all the time has always been a big hassle with my foscams so I could see it'd be perhaps even a good thing to not have one.

:)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Stop, take a deep breath. Get the correct parts and pieces, use the configtool that comes on the CD that came with the camera.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
TP-Link is a fine brand for networking gear. I recommend it often.

When buying PoE switches or injectors, be sure the device supports the 802.3af PoE standard (and/or 802.3at which is PoE+). These supply 48-54 volt DC power. There are many passive PoE devices that don't follow the standard and supply a much lower voltage (Ubiquiti is a big example of this, most of their devices use non-standard passive 24 volt injectors). You could damage a connected device if you use a non-standard PoE injector or switch with a device not built to handle it. However if you stick to standard 802.3af / 802.3at, there are built-in protections so the switch or injector does not supply power to a device that does not expect it.

Also, regarding your plans to use the camera on wifi, you may find that it isn't as reliable as you thought. Especially if you add more wifi cameras. People come on here all the time complaining of their cameras performing unreliably and they don't want to believe their precious wifi is the problem.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks. i will believe wifi is a problem. i've had problems with those foscams i've been using. i have also had years of problem free running. had a driveway cam that must have run for about 5 years with no problems. had cameras in other locations that i couldn't take my eyes off them for a day or two without they dropped out...

but right here and now all I want to do is prove this camera is good, is a worker, or find it is not and send it back to Andy. the days are going by and i'm spending large chunks of time and i'm getting nowhere, proving nothing for certain.

if anyone knows the simplest possible method of proving one of these cameras to be good please let me know.

I have it now ethernet connected to my internet router which itself is on subnet 10.x.x.x and the router sees nothing as connected by ethernet.

so that's no good.

and i have had it connected by ethernet to my computer and it didn't light up the link light. making it look like it was/is dead.

Last edited:

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Stop, take a deep breath. Get the correct parts and pieces, use the configtool that comes on the CD that came with the camera.
well I fired up the config tool and it couldn't find any cameras.
that factory IP would be correct? Anyone know? 192.168.1.108 it said.

and i'm still worried about no signs of power. the power input line would certainly be positive in the centre as I think is normal, wouldn't it?

I'm chasing this up in a different forum - whirlpool in Australia - and at least one poster there claims it has been shown in this thread that my camera needs - NEEDS - PoE and can't operate just on the 12V input line.

I don't see it this way. Does anyone else?

I was in touch with the vendor - Andy - and he just told me to get a 2A supply instead of 1A - he didn't say anything about the 12V line not working.

It is a pretty basic thing though. Needs nailing down. Anyone in a position to pronounce on this for certain?

Last edited:

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am sure your camera is fine, you just need to connect to it.

Do this. Leave your router alone on a 10.x subnet. Plug camera in and hook up your 12v supply. Change your computer's ip address to 192.169.1.100. Go into a web browser and go to http://192.168.1.108

Do that and report back. Changing your computers ip is critical, if you do not know how to do that - ask.

You are thinking your camera may be bad, and from what I can tell have not done a basic attempt to connect to it.

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can aso use the configtool that comes with it, just change your computers ip address first.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
change to 192.168.1.100 you mean, not '169'. Already did it and it didn't work.
Someone somewhere said it shouldn't be x.x.x.100 so I changed it to x.x.x.10 and that's what it is now.
browser can't find it. ping can't find it.
config tool can't find it.

in the discussions here and elsewhere I've got folks telling me I shouldn't be using 12V with it - it MUST be PoE.
And telling me wifi doesn't work with it either.

A W5431. I thought I read the specs carefully. Thought it was wifi. I intended to use that feature once I got it going.

Last edited: