Just getting started...

Looking Out

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm in North NJ and looking to build out a 4-6 camera setup for external monitoring of my home. Planning on going with a Blue Iris setup. I'll have some camera and wiring questions that I'll post in the respective sections. I'm looking forward to learning about this technology.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Have a look in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of the page. Lots of solid information there although the camera models are a generation old, the principals still apply. Honestly, four to six cameras won't do it if you want to cover everything and, more importantly, be able to identify who did what and when. A standard box shaped house needs eight cameras from my experience. Two on each side facing back toward each other. That's a total of eight. Add in another two at the front/main entry, one for facial ID up close and one to watch the package drop area. Depending on driveway/garage arrangement another one, two or three. If you've got any projections or recesses in the house, a couple of more will be needed.

In any event it's best to "over design", especially in terms of capacity, initially. It save time, money and frustration later.

The three basic rules of video surveillance cameras-

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

Looking Out

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@sebastiantombs Thanks for the welcome post and the guidance. There is tremendous detail in this forum and tons of knowledge. As I read more about the different cameras and features it really has me thinking about this undertaking differently. There is amazing technology available.

@Rob2020 LOL, I can see that. What an interesting rabbit hole this is going to be.