Just can't get remote access working after Hik ban - willing to reimburse someone [Sydney]

geek7899

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a Hikvision NVR DS-7616NI-E2/8P and 8 x Hikvision cameras, all from Aliexpress .
I had Hikvision DNS setup for 6 years and everything was working fine via the iVMS 4500 app.
After Hikvision turned their DNS off, I set up an account at noip.com

Now, I have since tried every possible method of entering the new DNS details in to the NVR. But it-never-saves !
I've tried via web interface (192.168.1.9), via iVMS-4200 PC app, and also directly entering into NVR via connected mouse & monitor.
Nothing works and I don't know what to do next.

I'm reasonably up to speed with setting up remote access. I did the cameras myself 6 years ago, and my garage door opener.

I'm in Sydney and am willing to pay someone for their time in beer economy/equivalent if they can help me setup remote camera access. And also figure out what I am doing wrong.

This is the thread where I have posted my progress/(frustration)

Thanks

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a Hikvision NVR DS-7616NI-E2/8P and 8 x Hikvision cameras, all from Aliexpress .
I had Hikvision DNS setup for 6 years and everything was working fine via the iVMS 4500 app.
After Hikvision turned their DNS off, I set up an account at noip.com

Now, I have since tried every possible method of entering the new DNS details in to the NVR. But it-never-saves !
I've tried via web interface (192.168.1.9), via iVMS-4200 PC app, and also directly entering into NVR via connected mouse & monitor.
Nothing works and I don't know what to do next.

I'm reasonably up to speed with setting up remote access. I did the cameras myself 6 years ago, and my garage door opener.

I'm in Sydney and am willing to pay someone for their time in beer economy/equivalent if they can help me setup remote camera access. And also figure out what I am doing wrong.

This is the thread where I have posted my progress/(frustration)

Thanks
You dont need to have the NVR update your ip. Most routers support this function. That said port forwarding will get you hacked pretty fast.

geek7899

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you saying that if I run a VPN server, I wouldn't need DNS ?

I do understand your efforts in warning people about the pitfalls of port forwards.
Setting up VPN is for another day.
My modem (Netcomm NF7) doesn't support VPN tunneling, but I do have another Asus RT-AC86U router in WAN Bypass mode. This one doesn't support VPN either (atleast the firmware I'm on doesn't)

I will change over to VPN, but will be a few days before I can sort that out, in the meantime, I do need remote camera access

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you saying that if I run a VPN server, I wouldn't need DNS ?

I do understand your efforts in warning people about the pitfalls of port forwards.
Setting up VPN is for another day.
My modem (Netcomm NF7) doesn't support VPN tunneling, but I do have another Asus RT-AC86U router in WAN Bypass mode. This one doesn't support VPN either (atleast the firmware I'm on doesn't)

I will change over to VPN, but will be a few days before I can sort that out, in the meantime, I do need remote camera access
No you still need a ddns server. Either way your router or any other always on pc or even a camera with internet access can handle that.

geek7899

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No you still need a ddns server. Either way your router or any other always on pc or even a camera with internet access can handle that.
Thats where I am stuck now,, and I presume thats where I will be stuck at even after setting up VPN server.
So I want to sort this problem first and then look at VPN after that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats where I am stuck now,, and I presume thats where I will be stuck at even after setting up VPN server.
So I want to sort this problem first and then look at VPN after that.
Right and i told you exactly how to solve it your asus router supports no-ip and several other ddns options. Also any firmware on the 86u will support vpn.

geek7899

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok, just saw your edit ...thanks
I'm going to try setting up DNS on the router, but unsure if it will carry through as its being used as an access point only in WAN bypass mode. (all DHCP done by Netcomm Modem)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok, just saw your edit ...thanks
I'm going to try setting up DNS on the router, but unsure if it will carry through as its being used as an access point only in WAN bypass mode. (all DHCP done by Netcomm Modem)
It was not an edit. Its right there in post 2 and post 4. It will work. All it does is send your ip info to the ddns server. You know the router has internet access.

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just buy a new NVR they aren't expensive.