Just Another Newbie Seeking Your Amazing Guidance! Basic system

CanDoThis

n3wb
Reaction score
Noob here---so please be nice:)

First-awesome information on this forum! You guys rock!

Past few months have been messing around with a few Amcrest’s. Retired unmanaged PoE switches from eBay. Ran some Cat5e. Picked up a Skybell.

Basically started with zero knowledge and has been an enjoyable challenge...However, after stolen package was missed on recording, I kind of feel like I failed and I know nothing again...

Been reading through the wealth of info, including the amazing cliff notes. But just wondering if anything specific to my situation would change things.

Essentially working on two basic "projects":

1. Detached small multifamily
Would like front overview + ID at entrance (and/or smartbell-- presently mechanical bell and wiring). Phase II - side, back, interior.

2. Attached ground level storefront office
Front overview + ID at entrance (or doorbell cam/intercom).
Recently swapped ancient Panasonic phone system to IP phones and would like to update doorbell with IP intercom (with or without camera/door access control). Currently air phone connects with phone system and "buzzes" the door.

We have normal city street lights.

Almost convinced to (restart) with Dahua Starlights.
  • fixed vs varifocal in my application?
  • NVR or BI? (do not have NVR or dedicated computer yet)
  • All ideas/suggestions

Thank you!!!

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 4.04.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 4.06.24 PM.png

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The roll down door on the business may play havoc on exterior cams. Perhaps a Dahua wide angle mini-wedge dropped down to 5-6ft height with wires inside EMT conduit? Or better, through the wall/brick to the left of the door. It is a dome camera and would require dome care and potential replacement at some point from weathering though. Paint match the brick and paint it for “some” concealment. Not sure what the roll up door to wall surface clearance is or if it would work either! Other than that, business stuff seems to need to all be internal.

CanDoThis

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! whats the issue with the roll down door? Would that one camera be enough for the front and door? Thanks!

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Depth and clearance. Cameras stick out. This is going to limit what may be available to mount outside. Zooming in on the picture, if the business door is left hinged, the previous suggestion of mounting a mini-wedge wont work either. Crappy google street view photos without clarity, depth or angles doesn’t help provide many suggestions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
keep the current intercom...
use dahua starlight turrets...see the tread on the fixed or varifocal versions..
blue iris is very flexible and offers lots of functionality that an NVR cannot.

CanDoThis

n3wb
Reaction score
Depth and clearance. Cameras stick out. This is going to limit what may be available to mount outside. Zooming in on the picture, if the business door is left hinged, the previous suggestion of mounting a mini-wedge wont work either. Crappy google street view photos without clarity, depth or angles doesn’t help provide many suggestions.
Thanks... so there is at least a foot of clearance between gate and door.

CanDoThis

n3wb
Reaction score
use dahua starlight turrets...see the tread on the fixed or varifocal versions..
Thanks. so current intercom is connected to old phone system.
Have basic understanding of fixed vs varifocal from reading threads here, just wondering if application here makes any difference or would the benefits of varifocal not be as apparent...

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If there is a foot of clearance, a verifocal turret on the left of the business pointing toward the door would cover entry/exit when the roller door is up, if mounted behind it. Camera would be protected when door is down. An inside camera pointed at a the door, mounted about 6ft should help with identification. Higher than that will likely be defeated by hoods and hats. This would also give you coverage if someone breached the roller door.

CanDoThis

n3wb
Reaction score
If there is a foot of clearance, a verifocal turret on the left of the business pointing toward the door would cover entry/exit when the roller door is up, if mounted behind it. Camera would be protected when door is down. An inside camera pointed at a the door, mounted about 6ft should help with identification. Higher than that will likely be defeated by hoods and hats. This would also give you coverage if someone breached the roller door.
Thanks, should place camera on left side facing door from outside or vice versa?

CanDoThis

n3wb
Reaction score
also-- would it make sense to set alarm when someone is at the door and how does the fact that Dahua IVS events will not work with Blue Iris make a difference?

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, should place camera on left side facing door from outside or vice versa?
Outside, on left pointing toward door. Mount camera behind roller door so when it is closed, it will not be stolen or vandalized. Use varifocal versus fixed so you can zoom in/out to customize recording area instead of a fixed lens.

CanDoThis

n3wb
Reaction score
Sooo now need new router. Saw talk about asus 86u and 68u. Should I look at those?

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sooo now need new router. Saw talk about asus 86u and 68u. Should I look at those?
Asus has relatively easy steps to set up OpenVPN and the listed routers come preinstalled. Yes, look at those routers.

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The TMobile version has a different firmware. Most are “refurbished” and likely not rebuilt refurbished but rather shoved in a box after being wiped off refurbished. So, you have to flash new non-TMobile firmware on to it. And you roll the dice on longevity. The $20-30 savings was not worth it to me for the extra steps and a who-knows router.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks! have old PoE switch Cisco from eBay: Cisco SF100D-08P 8-Port 10 100 PoE Desktop Switch do I need a new one?

Also have people painted a wall mount and dome housing to better match doors windows? any issues with doing it?
Your current switch is fine, as long as the camera is POE, and not POE+.
Paint-it's done all the time. If cams in direct sun, I wouldn't use a very dark color.

CanDoThis

n3wb
Reaction score
sooo computer running with BI demo, think got VPN figured out... cannot figure out how to set up rules to block IP cam from connecting to internet etc... Asus 68u router.

I understand the concept. Just never did this before and cannot figure out exactly where to I am doing this-- firewall->network service filter? whats the port range and IP of source/destination?
How do I keep VPN port open?

update-- simply blocked camera from internet based on this Easiest Way to Secure Camera System

but did not set any "rules"...? is that wrong? will I still be able to remote outside network via VPN?

should all devices that do not require internet connection be also be blocked (i.e. smart lights) ? is this exercise not effective if anyway connecting say a Skybell that needs internet...?

Thanks!

Last edited: