Just another newbie-loving it...

Bad1Billy

n3wb
Reaction score
First off, thanks so much to everyone as I've been lurking and learning for a few months. I have read (and re-read) the Wiki and Cliff Notes and searched and searched and read some more.....
Just some words as to what brought me here:

I got into IP cameras when I was setting up a web cam for my business about 15 years ago. I wanted a cam that could FTP images to our web site and went through Dahua and Hikvision (they would both post FTP snapshots BUT not overwrite the files) and settled on Acti for that purpose alone. I did use Blue Iris with a Dahua for a short time for this function (overwrite image files on a web site).

In August, my wife asked if I would set up a camera system for her friend's farm where she keeps her horse so the owner wouldn't have to walk the 400 feet in cold and snow to check horses at all hours of the day and I agreed. I Googled a lot of stuff before finding this site and it's been off to the races. She now has 6 cams (Dahua, Amcrest and Loryta) and a BI box. Next on the list is a flashed router with OpenVPN. Also need to set up the *.exe file to change the driveway Dahua from Day to Night so we can monitor license plates more effectively.

Price has been a huge consideration because she's pretty lower income but that's challenging. I originally used a 640x480 Panasonic that I bought 15 years ago (or longer) just to get her up and running. Needless to say, the quality was horrible and BI had problems recording correctly.

Upside? a person who was stealing from her confessed after being confronted with the cameras (no recorded evidence but their presence was enough) and confessed. So big success there as well as keeping our friend warm on these freezing nights instead of going out to the barn.

Crazy thing is how addictive this habit has become. I'm planning on a system for my new house and getting lots of ideas. I'm a closet geek and like learning even at 70.

Thanks again! I hear forums are dying but for my Jeep and other passions like IP cameras, the communities are great...Happy New Year (and good riddance to 2020)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Come on in,, After quitting just about everything addictive, I must admit,,,,I have to keep myself from getting too intrigued with all this....But it's interesting how human behavior has changed for the better at the Condo I manage in the laundry rooms, and Garages and Parking lots. I put together a BI-PC and in combination with the old DVR i have about 25 Camera's. 5 of them surveil the parking lots from my office. It saves me from going out in the cold to see what the hell is going on out back....

Bad1Billy

n3wb
Reaction score
Come on in,, After quitting just about everything addictive, I must admit,,,,I have to keep myself from getting too intrigued with all this....But it's interesting how human behavior has changed for the better at the Condo I manage in the laundry rooms, and Garages and Parking lots. I put together a BI-PC and in combination with the old DVR i have about 25 Camera's. 5 of them surveil the parking lots from my office. It saves me from going out in the cold to see what the hell is going on out back....
Yeah, it seems when people know they are on camera, they tend to keep raw emotions in check....