Junction Boxes?

doretau

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What's everyone's take on using junction boxes? Is it a necessity or just a gimmick. I don't mind spending the extra to buy them if that's the recommendation from you current owners.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
What's everyone's take on using junction boxes? Is it a necessity or just a gimmick. I don't mind spending the extra to buy them if that's the recommendation from you current owners.
You use them when "needed". Typically on flush mount placements - especially when under sofits or on a porch where you can simply drill a hole large enough to push the cable and connection (in a weather boot) back up into the home I do, this allows for a much cleaner look. The only time I use junction boxes is if you are using conduit or if you need to drop the camera down a little bit so that you don't have IR reflection off a gutter or overhang when mounting under an eve.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
So far I'm not using them, but I don't have much experience to say how it works out. My cameras have the power and rj45 pigtails, and are outdoors. I attempted to seal the power connector by fastening an equal diameter wire nut the open end with shrink tubing. If the supplied RJ45 cover is weatherproof it should work out ok. The cameras are already too big without adding even more bulk to the setup. The cameras are mounted to trees.