Junction box ethernet grommet?

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I got a PFA130-E thinking it would simplify my install but I'm a bit confused.
There's 2 holes on the bottom/side that have screw on caps. I'm guessing it's for a conduit connector?
What if I just want to have bare ethernet cable coming out from there for a drip loop before going back up. Is there some kind of specific grommet that I need to get like that black one from the top lid? Or do you drill a hole in the screw cap to pass your ethernet cable and caulk around it?
What's the "proper way" to terminate this if I want to use the bottom exit.

1684554166729.png

And what if I want to use this hole on the back?
Right now there's just this foam sticker backing, and despite one of the screw caps fitting there I can't use one as there's no spare caps for that location.

1684554682037.png

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I found these;

3/4' NPT Cable Gland Connector Waterproof IP68 Strain Relief Nylon Cord Connectors Adjustable 10-16mm/0.39-0.62inch Nylon Cable Glands Joints with Gaskets

But it seems to say the smallest cable it'll take is 10mm and my ethernet is 6mm.

Do they make 3/4 gland connectors for thinner cables?

Is G3/4 even the same thing as NPT3/4?

1684556125963.png

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Replying to myself :p But may have found what I was looking for.

Brass Pipe Fitting,3/4 Inch NPT Male to 1/2 Inch NPT Female Brass Pipe Hose Tube Fitting Hex Head Bushing Adapter Convert (3, 1/2 NPT female x 3/4 NPT male)

1684556600098.png

These converters, which then would allow me to use smaller 1/2 NTP glands;

1684556637848.png

What do you guys think?

ctm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you using premade cables, or are you going to crimp you own? Premade likely wouldn't fit through the 1/2 in's opening, will it?
Also brass to aluminum could induce galvanic corrosion, you should look for a plastic reducer.

What environment are you exposing it to? (How much rain? How much ice/snow?).
Go with the reducer/gland if you are crimping your own cables, it will look better, but drill and caulk could work ( but look a little worse).
I drilled out near the edge of the thread on my cap and cut through the threads in that spot (so I could remove the cap and or cable when needed). It looks fine, and provides a splash proof seal, but I am in a relatively dry environment and my exposed cable was protected from direct rain. (Most of my cameras are screwed directly into trim/eaves with wires going into the wall/attic, i only did a few with junction.

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep I'm terminating my own ethernet cables. I live in Canada so half of the years it's snow. Got a big roll of gel filled 'direct burial' outdoor CAT6 which should be perfect for an ipcam install. I'll just attach it along the side of the house and run to my basement.

Thanks for the 'brass to aluminum' tip!
I was too tired last night and didn't notice that these are still NPT to NTP reducers and not G to NPT like I thought I searched for so these are no good.
I'll tried to find plastic ones but so far nothing.

Then I found these Dahua G3/4 cable gland IP68 for junction boxes but there's zero details on that page so unsure of the diameter of those holes. Gotta keep looking.
1684591624200.png

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A couple of things, IMO:
  • The grommet is to plug the back hole when not used but should still be protected by a soffit or backboard; if not, I'd caulk it with non-gassing outdoor-rated silicone caulk.
  • If you can't locate the "perfect" gland for your CAT cable's diameter and it seems too big, no worries: a couple of turns of self-vulcanizing (self-curing) rubber or silicone tape on the CAT cable will increase the cable's diameter and form a pretty good seal when the gland outer ring is tightened to compress the jacket clamp down on the CAT cable.

Last edited:

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A couple of things, IMO:
  • The grommet is to plug the back hole when not used but should still be protected by a soffit or backboard; if not, I'd caulk it with outdoor-rated silicone caulk.
  • If you can't locate the "perfect" gland for your CAT cable's diameter and it seems too big, no worries: a couple of turns of self-vulcanizing (self-curing) rubber or silicone tape on the CAT cable will increase the cable's diameter and form a pretty good seal when the gland outer ring is tightened to compress the jacket clamp down on the CAT cable.
I think the grommet is supposed to be used on the face plate where the camera mounts and the cameras wires pass through it? I could be wrong though

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The thread pattern in the junction box will accept 3/4 npt threads like the one found on 3/4 pvc screw caps. I have a tap and die set so I drill a hole in the cap and thread it for 3/8 glands. The cap is thick enough so there are plenty of threads. The nut does not fit on the back but it won't move once it's installed so it shouldn't be an issue.

IMG_5829.jpg

Last edited:

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The thread pattern in the junction box will accept 3/4 npt threads like the one found on 3/4 pvc screw caps. I have a tap and die set so I drill a hole in the cap and thread it for 5/8 glands. The cap is thick enough so there are plenty of threads. The nut does not fit on the back but it won't move once it's installed so it shouldn't be an issue.

View attachment 164377
Oh I like this idea even better, would you be able to link a tap set that would work for this? I've always wanted to get into tapping but never really took the plunge

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh I like this idea even better, would you be able to link a tap set that would work for this? I've always wanted to get into tapping but never really took the plunge
3/8" Carbon Steel NPT Pipe Tap and 37/64" High Speed Steel Drill Bit Set

NPT 3/8”Nylon Cord Grips Cable Glands

Those are the glands and the tap/drill bit set. Some extra information. I did not have a tap handle big enough for the tap. A 5/8 Inch 12-Point Socket will work. Because the cap is pvc and the drill and the tap exert a bit of force, it can be tough holding on to the cap. I stripped a few caps trying pliers, pipe wrenches, and other things. My solution was to grad the ring for an emt fitting (like the one in the below picture) and screw it on the pvc cap. I could get a good grip on it and drill through the front of the cap. The force from the drill would make the cap want to screw into the metal collar but once the collar was screwed in all the way, the force went into drilling. If you have a fitting with a 3/4 female thread, that would work too. You could probably use the hole in the junction box. I chose not to do that so I didn't have to try to hood the junction box in a vice to hold it. Try to mark the very center of the cap. Start with small drill bit and work your way up to the bit for the tap. If you are too far off center, the tap will have to add threads to the inside wall of the cap. It's still usable but it just adds a little bit more work. You may want to grab a few extra caps just in case.

0.75Inch PVC Male Thread Plug Drain Cap

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
3/8" Carbon Steel NPT Pipe Tap and 37/64" High Speed Steel Drill Bit Set

NPT 3/8”Nylon Cord Grips Cable Glands

Those are the glands and the tap/drill bit set. Some extra information. I did not have a tap handle big enough for the tap. A 5/8 Inch 12-Point Socket will work. Because the cap is pvc and the drill and the tap exert a bit of force, it can be tough holding on to the cap. I stripped a few caps trying pliers, pipe wrenches, and other things. My solution was to grad the ring for an emt fitting (like the one in the below picture) and screw it on the pvc cap. I could get a good grip on it and drill through the front of the cap. The force from the drill would make the cap want to screw into the metal collar but once the collar was screwed in all the way, the force went into drilling. If you have a fitting with a 3/4 female thread, that would work too. You could probably use the hole in the junction box. I chose not to do that so I didn't have to try to hood the junction box in a vice to hold it. Try to mark the very center of the cap. Start with small drill bit and work your way up to the bit for the tap. If you are too far off center, the tap will have to add threads to the inside wall of the cap. It's still usable but it just adds a little bit more work. You may want to grab a few extra caps just in case.

0.75Inch PVC Male Thread Plug Drain Cap

Awesome, great post - thank you very much!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think the grommet is supposed to be used on the face plate where the camera mounts and the cameras wires pass through it? I could be wrong though
Yes, you're correct in that case. I've had a couple like that and also some where the cam functions as that cover and there is no grommet.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, you're correct in that case. I've had a couple like that and also some where the cam functions as that cover and there is no grommet.
Got it- that makes sense - i was worried i've been doing it wrong on all my cams!!! Thanks!

Reaction score
Bringing this thread back to life...

I'm looking for the same solution for my junction box. I see the box labels the pipe thread as G3/4" but that confuses me because when I measure it, it looks like 1" to me. I found this on Home Depot's website: Arlington Industries 3/4 in. Low-Profile Strain Relief Cord ConnectorsRange (single pack) LPCG753-1 - The Home Depot In the Questions/Answers it was confirmed that the cord range is (.100-.360") which is a 2.54-9.144mm range. Ideally I'd like to find one in white. Has anyone else found any other ethernet size appropriate cable glands for these junction boxes? I asked Andy but he said he didn't have any recommendations, which surprises me as I'd have to assume not everyone is running conduit to their junction boxes.

1702514867799.png

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't know what your point A to point B looks like, but I just used standard gray flex conduit and connectors going into the junction boxes. The RJ45 connectors were installed last after the cable pulls were done. If you use camera junction boxes then you'll need to use threaded inserts to adapt to the correct thread hole size for the connectors.

Reaction score
I'm running naked outdoor Cat6 on the exterior of my house, mostly below my deck, up the wall behind a gutter to the soffit > Junction box & Camera. Just to verify the cable gland I linked from Home Depot above does indeed fit the screw threading for the plastic cap openings and the cable gland fits perfect on a Cat6 cable.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm running naked outdoor Cat6 on the exterior of my house, mostly below my deck, up the wall behind a gutter to the soffit > Junction box & Camera. Just to verify the cable gland I linked from Home Depot above does indeed fit the screw threading for the plastic cap openings and the cable gland fits perfect on a Cat6 cable.
Can you show a pic of it in the junction box?