iVMS-4200 pre-record... does it work?

lunokhod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I've got a small Hikvision setup at home. Five DS-2CD2342WD-I cameras and iVMS-4200 running on a dedicated Win7 machine.
It has been a most reliable setup and has provided evidence for various incidents over the last four years. I have it set up for Event Recording with a 3TB RAID1 array.

One thing that I have never been able to sort out, is to get pre-recording working for camera initiated events. It doesn't seem to matter how I set up the Storage Schedule, I cannot seem to get recordings to start "pre event".
I presume that when you set up a pre-record time, there is a buffer for that length of time so that when an event is activated the recording starts from the start of the buffer.

Can anyone shed any light on how this works?

Michael.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My 'understanding' is that it only works if you also have continuous set as well, then it has the ability to borrow the pre footage. in other words, when the unit is triggered it will just loop the previous footage before the event occurs

lunokhod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I was hoping the iVMS-4200 software would have been a little more intelligent.

The idea of Event recording schedule is to save space on the HDD as well as indicate when Events happen. Using continuous recording eats up HDD space.
Surely it would have been easy to implement a buffer in RAM (equivalent to the length of the pre-record time) to allow for this to work. Sigh.

Michael.

My 'understanding' is that it only works if you also have continuous set as well, then it has the ability to borrow the pre footage. in other words, when the unit is triggered it will just loop the previous footage before the event occurs