iVMS-4200 PCNVR web access playback video "freezing"

lunokhod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

First real tech question post... please be kind. :)

I've been playing around with a Hikvision Turret Cam (DS-2CD2342WD-I) and the Hikvision iVMS-4200 PCNVR software. It's been mostly plain sailing, but there are a few weird things happening that are vexing me. I've got PCNVR installed on my "server"... Win7 x64, i5 3570, 8GB RAM, dedicated 500GB RAID1 array for the PCNVR software files.

As my server is stashed away in my homes "data center", I am accessing PCNVR using it's web interface... and this is where the weird things are happening.

When playing back some of the motion-detected video via the web interface, I am finding that some (not all) videos are freezing for several seconds, then skipping ahead. I've tried using the web interface on multiple computers at home with both Firefox and IE with the same result, this points to the common factor, something with PCNVR or the computer it's installed on.

Viewing the skipping video directly on PCNVR works fine. Downloading the video and playing it with VLC also works fine... it's ONLY via the web interface that I am seeing this. These freezing videos occur around 10% of the time, enough to be annoying.

Sorry for the potato quality, I simply aimed my phone at the computer screen.

First video shows the problem, this is via the web interface. You see the video stops actually stops, then skips ahead.

Second video, same thing.

Third video is the same as second, but this time viewed directly on the PCNVR software. It plays fine.

Fourth video, web interface again, following day... works fine.

Another thing that is confusing is what actual version of PCNVR I have.

The web interface says "V2.0.1 build 140122", PCNVR also says "V2.0.1 build 140122". Windows Control Panel Program and Features tells me (V1.03). The installer .exe is named "iVMS-4200 PCNVR(v1.3)" which came from a ZIP file named "iVMS-4200 PCNVR(v1.3.6.2)" and properties on the actual iVMS4200 PCNVR .exe file says "Product version 1.00.00.02".

Anyway, back on topic... anyone here use PCNVR via the web interface and experienced these video freezes?

Regards,

Lunokhod.

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same issue with completely different cameras/dvr. Playback via web interface has constant freezes where it skips around 4 seconds

Downloaded the file, same thing happens in VLC player. However when I enable hardware decoding in VLC settings, it doesn't.

Played with 'Wondershare' player at default settings and its fine. I think for whatever reason, some parts of the video are difficult to decode.

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I appear to have solved it by recording at full fps instead of 12 fps. What fps are you recording at?

lunokhod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry for (almost) abandoning my thread. :)

While I still don't know what was going on... it appears to have settled down. Playback via the web interface now works fine all the time.

I am recording at 15 fps which was the default (I think).

All's well that ends well I guess!