It's OK to install camera at low heights (2m/6.5ft) in fenced patio?

jeffarese

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm going to install 2 cameras in my patio.

I could install them at 2.6m/8.5ft height, however, at that height one pole of a pergola covers the top area of the fence, so if somebody starts climbing the fence, my cameras won't see them until AFTER they have jumped the fence.

If I install them at 2m/6.5ft, the camera angle can see the top part of the fence so it would see the head of somebody trying to climb as they start climbing it.

While I know that usually it's recommended to install cameras at out of reach heights, I was wondering if it's okay to install them at 2m in this case, since the patio is fenced and is somebody reaches the camera it has already trespassed and alarms/notifications, etc should have already started.

jeffarese

n3wb
Reaction score
They would be mini bullets in this case. I had turrets but I couldn't direct them where I needed it while wall-mounting them (it was only possible mounting them on the ceiling, which is not possible in this case).

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The most interesting camera mount, was a member that mounted the camera in a garden light pointed up and out. The camera was about 4 inches off the ground. Great for people looking at the ground to hide there face.

Test your camera location before mounting. Have a friend be the bad guy wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sun glasses, can you identify him.

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The most interesting camera mount, was a member that mounted the camera in a garden light pointed up and out. The camera was about 4 inches off the ground. Great for people looking at the ground to hide there face.

Test your camera location before mounting. Have a friend be the bad guy wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sun glasses, can you identify him.
Hey @SouthernYankee, do you remember who made that? I'd like to see a few pictures of it. That's a very interesting idea.

Reaction score
Just remember no one is going after any cameras. I have not seen one post on here where someone had a camera vandalized or destroyed. Any one can reach my cameras on my house it has never happened. And if they did i would have a clear view of them from the other cameras around my place.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score

I would like to see how they did that. I might have to copy it.

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey @SouthernYankee, do you remember who made that? I'd like to see a few pictures of it. That's a very interesting idea.
Funny, just read that post 2 min ago.

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Funny, just read that post 2 min ago.
Nice! Thanks!

Reaction score
The errors most people make are mounting the cam too high, trying to cover too much area with a single cam, and expecting a wide angle cam to get good face shots of people across the street. At my front door, I have two at 5 feet and two at 2 feet.
I would like to see your two feet setup, if you could post when you get a chance.