It was wonderful flying up until the late 80's

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Is it just me or does it seem like we need to now have mandatory travel etiquette certification and that every ticket sold the flyer needs to agree to abide by the uniform travel etiquette code or be removed from the plane? Too many people with no basic etiquette skills, self centered and entitled.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I fly a fair amount. I truly love people watching.

A fair amount of the people look like they just rolled out of bed. There is often no difference wondering Dollar General or Walmart compared to the airport.

I generally try to fly first or comfort class. Tickets are more, but well worth it.
I despise flying main. Getting stuck next to someone in the summer who refuses to wear deodorant. Or sitting next to someone who can barely squeeze into a full size truck much less a plane seat does not appeal to me.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I flew a TON in the 80's and early 90's. American Gold out of DFW and got upgraded to first class more often than not.

You could actually get a reasonably good steak and strong drink back then ...

Early 80's flights on Air Mexicana for party weekends in Cozumel were on another level. :cool: Depart about 8am and by the time we landed at 10:30am the entire plane was either shitfaced or stoned, or both!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Pretty much like a flying bus in most cases now.

International generally are better.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
You should see the cattle boats going into Orlando now due to all the tourist attractions. It's probably the only place you will consistently see/hear people applaud when the plane lands. It's not a rough weather or landing phenomenon....they just like that woke commie Mickey I guess.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Man ..flying has just gotten worse and worse .. back in the day I recall you could just board a flight at the last minute .. and if you forgot you bottle of water in your bag .. no biggee

Reaction score
I did a lot of domestic flying in the 80's for work. Was not bad actually. Then in the 90's and early 2000's a lot of international flights for work and mostly got to travel business class. Was quite nice. Then in 2006-2011 was stationed in Nigeria and always flew business and got upgraded to first class a few times. Air France business was very good back then. Really good food. I also liked KLM 747 upper deck.