It has happened! No Live view in Chrome

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Chrome updated to version 45, no longer can view cams due to depreciated NPAPI support. Is Hikvision going to ignore this?

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Don't use Chrome. :cool:

There, it is fixed! Sorry had to lol, but there is not much to be done for now anyway. Every camera maker I have used will have the same issue so it is not just a Hikvision thing. They all use plugins of some type or another. IE is what I have always used for camera work even though my browser of choice is Firefox. It is what it is and I'll survive.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I haven't used IE in years and refuse to switch to it...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't used IE in years and refuse to switch to it...
lol, you dont have to switch...just use it for the cameras, we wont tell :)..in all seriousness if you wish you can use onvif device manager to adjust most settings without needing a browser.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
IE actually works pretty well. I mean I hate it on principal as any self respecting geek does, but it really does work just fine now days. IE beats chrome on several tests even now. Chrome is the browser I like the least of them all though, I seriously hate that browser as it is so darn slow. Was good years ago but now it is a slow bloated pig but mainly the RAM usage is out of control. I did see news on the last few days they Google is finally addressing this though so there is hope.

Using IE just for cameras will not hurt you, we promise. :D

mxmaniac

n3wb
Reaction score
Although I haven't specifically tested this. If you really want to use chrome in the mean time, you should be able to just download a "portable" version of chrome, which will be separate from your main version. Then just don't update that one, and use it just for the Hikvision cams.

Kandeman

n3wb
Reaction score
Although I haven't specifically tested this. If you really want to use chrome in the mean time, you should be able to just download a "portable" version of chrome, which will be separate from your main version. Then just don't update that one, and use it just for the Hikvision cams.
Does anyone know how to create a portable version of Chrome or Firefox with the web components plugin preloaded? I'm fine at home because I can use whatever I want but at work I don't have admin privileges so I can't install the webcomponents.exe, and thought that using a portable version would work but I can't get the plugin loaded / installed on the portable version?

Kandeman

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll respond to my own question. Palemoon Portable with the contents of the \ProgramFiles(x86)\Webcomponents director copied into \Palemoon\lib\mozilla\plugins directory and the \Palemoon folder works perfectly and doesn't require admin privileges.

Ookie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Love Hik based products.

But software companies are rapidly removing NPAPI support from browsers, citing security risks. In police work, we call this a clue.

Hik has great video quality, but the kludgy access/playback over browsers is one of the worst aspects of their products. They need to redesign web access from the ground up,

Yes, there are workarounds like Palemoon, which I have used myself. But we shouldn't have to go to seek out the browsers from companies who have yet to address what everyone else is calling a security issue.

For those doing this for a living, it becomes an even bigger issue with clients. I'm not a fan of being in a position to tell someone that they can't use their browser of choice because it blocks the Hik interface platform as a security hole.