It can't possibly be the coupler . . . .

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One of my POE trail cameras went offline, two days ago. As I was thinking of all the possible points of failure, I mentally ruled out the "waterproof" coupler that I have in the middle of the long run, where I changed my mind on camera wiring 2 years ago.

Well, after 3 hours of troubleshooting, testing with inexplicable results, and at least 6 unnecessary reterminations at the far ends . . . it's the coupler:

1716676792475.png

The inside was soaking wet, and the RJ45 pins had lots of green corrosion.

I reterminated with a different brand of coupler, and used lots of dielectric grease, which I neglected to use last time. The camera is back online. We'll see how many years this holds up for.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One of my POE trail cameras went offline, two days ago. As I was thinking of all the possible points of failure, I mentally ruled out the "waterproof" coupler that I have in the middle of the long run, where I changed my mind on camera wiring 2 years ago.

Well, after 3 hours of troubleshooting, testing with inexplicable results, and at least 6 unnecessary reterminations at the far ends . . . it's the coupler:

View attachment 81581

The inside was soaking wet, and the RJ45 pins had lots of green corrosion.

I reterminated with a different brand of coupler, and used lots of dielectric grease, which I neglected to use last time. The camera is back online. We'll see how many years this holds up for.
Thanks for the info, hope I'm still around in more than 5 years and it's still working OK! :lmao:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've had the same thing happen, and now I use a thin layer of grease where all the openings of the coupler mate to each other or to the cable.
Same here; I squirt some in every outdoor, garage or attic Ethernet connection (I would do so in crawl space if I had any)...you can't go wrong with it.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ll add this is also why every commercial, enterprise, and military installation pass through RJ45 connectors aren’t used.

Using a dead end connectors provides a measure of protection for the copper wiring. I shoot some dielectric grease into the RJ45 connector before the wire / load bar is inserted.

Once the crimp is made there is a thin film of dielectric grease embedded into the solid core reducing the effects of moisture penetration.

Once done apply a small amount of dielectric grease to the final coupling of the two. As others have done if the area is considered high risk amalgamation tape or silicone tape is applied to ensure a dry connection.

On a related matter any junction box or similar that houses electronics incorporates reusable dry packs in various sizes from oz to lbs.

For the airtight IP rated boxes depending upon the environment I’ve installed one way vent caps in various sizes and numbers.

Nothing is worse then fighting to get into a sealed box at 1400 feet on a comm tower with your ass twisting in the wind!:banghead:

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’ll add this is also why every commercial, enterprise, and military installation pass through RJ45 connectors aren’t used.
How waterproof, typically, are the RJ45 connectors on all the POE cameras that we use? The first coupler I used on that junction was built like a tank, but that doesn't mean it's waterproof.

The glands on the cameras seem so flimsy by comparison. But that doesn't mean they're penetrable.

Or maybe I overtightened that first coupler.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
How waterproof, typically, are the RJ45 connectors on all the POE cameras that we use? The first coupler I used on that junction was built like a tank, but that doesn't mean it's waterproof.

The glands on the cameras seem so flimsy by comparison. But that doesn't mean they're penetrable.

Or maybe I overtightened that first coupler.
Safe to say the quality or lack thereof of the OEM cable from Dahua / Hikvision when compared to other industry standard companies such as Axis, Bosch, Pelco, Mobotix, etc.

Is pretty shit . . . :rofl:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ll finish up as it relates to the RJ45 connector or anytime a termination is made. The ends are wiped down with IPA after it’s been handled and prior to inserting the cable, Ferrell, etc.

Human finger sweat / grease / whatever else will speed up corrosion on copper like nobody’s business!