issues with DHI-NVR4104HS-P-4KS2/L

Bever

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all.
I recently bought this NVR:DHI-NVR4104HS-P-4KS2/L. It came with old software (32 bits windows). Many programms would't work, so i tried a firmware update.
I used the online update procedure from within the NVR itself. The first question is: Where does it connect to ? I can't where the NVR is connecting too, to get the firmware.
Appearantly there was a slightly newer version, because it was updating and rebooting.
It now has this version: v4.001.0000001.0. When I check the version, it reports : you all ready have the latest version.

But on the dahua security website i see a new firmware image : V 4.002.0000000.5.R.221115. According to the release notes this is not an upgrade of functionality, but just to fix some bugs.
And it should be compatible with my NVR.

I was told, only update when it is really, really necessary. So is this a wise thing to do ?
BTw i have tried to update the apps foor my NVR, SmartPSS. But it's not working at all. I installed this on a 64 bit windows laptop, using windows 10. SmartPSS just shows the beginpage, and than freezes. I have to use taskmanager to kill the application.
I've tried disabling windows defender firewall. Installed it wth admin rights. De-installed the app. Install it again, same problems.
Even an older version wouldn't run.
Maybe i should DSS instead. I'm getting a bit frustrated ot this piece of software

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Um the NVR doesn't have Windows software LOL.

It is a proprietary operating system written in Linux.

Too many unknowns at the moment.

Start basic - can you see the NVR by hooking it up via HDMI to a monitor?

What are the specs of your computer - maybe it is too old to run SmartPSS?

Bever

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi wittaj.

Offcourse you're right. I meant the SmartPPS software running on my windows laptop. It's a Dell laptop with a Core I7 cpu from 2021, running windows 10.
So i would say, this laptop is not that old. The NVR itself is working just fine. I have a monitor attached to it with VGA cable, and I can see the view of my 2 camera's .
I can log in the NVR using 192.168.1.108 no problems there.
Is just that the software that came with it is not so good.
I think dahau is not so concerned about developing new updates.
Any some users are not that positive about Blue Iris software, as manay users say: ditch the NVR, and start using a PC with Blue iris software.
There was a user who suggested I run it on a windows 7 PC, but that's going back in time. That sounds just stupid.

What do you think i Can do ? I've allready sent an e-mail to dahua-security.com in my country. But I haven't received a reply yet.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
SmartPSS should run fine on that computer. I have it installed on dozens of PC's many with less power/

The NVR software works fine. What specifically is it you are trying to do that it wont do? Maybe spend some more time learning the controls? Most adjustments should be made on the individual camera GUI not the NVR.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I could not use SmartPSS Lite, wouldn't start. I use the regular SmartPSS without any problems.
If you install the SmartPSS app on PC, DO NOT install PC-NVR.
To uninstall PC-NVR, run the installer again, iirc.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i7 doesn't mean much. What is the processor number? But regardless it can probably run it.

As mentioned above, what exactly are you trying to do?

I doubt Dahua will respond to you. The homeowner isn't the Dahua and Hikvision target audience, it is the professional installers that are authorized to sell and install this gear, so we cannot purchase directly and thus they will not take your phone call for support related questions or suggestions - they will tell you to talk to the installer you purchased from for support or firmware updates. Many people have bought a "Hikvision" or "Dahua" from Amazon or some shady foreign website and when they call Hikvision or Dahua for support they basically tell them to go pound salt - we have dozens of threads were people come here after trying that route. We simply are not their intended market to sell to and they will not take your call for support...Lot's of threads here confirming this, including one from a few months ago where someone tried to call for support and they told them sorry talk to your installer.

Bever

n3wb
Reaction score
Perimeter gave me a good hint. I will try to install SmartPSS without PC-NVR. So far i have installed SmartpSS with PC-NVR.
The NVR works fine. I am just trying to install SmartPSS.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah the PC-NVR sucks and is slow as can be. You don't need that since you have an NVR. The PC-NVR is if you are trying to use the computer as an NVR.

Bever

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah the PC-NVR sucks and is slow as can be. You don't need that since you have an NVR. The PC-NVR is if you are trying to use the computer as an NVR.
Aha, now i get it. I will de-install PC-NVR. And all the things you said about getting help from dahuasecurity is true. I bought the stuff from a local ipcam shop.
I do not belong to theier main customer group.

Bever

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, i de-nstalled SmartPSS. And then installed SmartPSS without PC-NVR.
Unfortunately the same result.

I see the dahua login screen, and than this:

I can't click anything, and still have to kill the app using taskmanager. Maybe i have to install it in a sandbox or a virtual machine, such as VMWare workstation

Attachments

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
SmartPSS had a new version in 2023. Are you using that?
I got it here:

Last edited:

Bever

n3wb
Reaction score
Stupid me. I made a mistake. :facepalm: I had to click on the ad. logo to disappear. It works. I seem to have an old version V2.003.0000004.0 date 2020-10-21.
I will check out the link you provided, thanx :D