Issues with day/night

Reaction score
I just got a dahua camera but have been having a couple issues. I have my profile management set to day/night but my camera will only change from day to night. It is 8;41 pretty bright outside but my camera did not change to day. The only way for me to fix it is that I have to go into the profile management everyday and select the normal option and change the mode to color. Once I do this, I can change it back to day/night and then it will stay at day and change to night automatically. How can I make it so that my camera will change to day when it gets bright? I was awake around 7 am and all I could see was a white light because it had the night options set.

Thank you guys!

Reaction score
Does you camera have profiles available? If so, you can set a time period for Day and Night.

If using Windows, @bp2008 made a handy little program to switch the cameras to Day/Night as well: Dahua day/night switch utility - DahuaSunriseSunset
Yes I think I will have to do that but the only issue is that I would have to change the times a lot because the sun will set at different times every month. Will that program work all the time? I have my camera using micro sd storage so I am not running off of my computer. Thank you so much for quick reply :)

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes I think I will have to do that but the only issue is that I would have to change the times a lot because the sun will set at different times every month. Will that program work all the time? I have my camera using micro sd storage so I am not running off of my computer. Thank you so much for quick reply :)
That program needs to be run from a Windows computer that can connect to your cameras to flip them from Day/Night twice daily.

So as long as you have a computer on your LAN running 24x7 it will work. If you have a Raspberry Pi or other *nix computer on your LAN running I have a simply way to do this via a cronjob as well: Program for flipping cameras to day/night on Linux

Last edited:

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, the program adjusts for sunrise/sunset.

Reaction score
@anijet @biggen thank you guys so much for help. My 50 dollar camera has automatic day/night so i am kinda mad. I think I will use raspberry pie to run all day because I am not home all the time. Thank you guys.

b0bthebuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@b0bthebuilder hmm ill try that for today but won't i need different settings for day and night? what do you do for it to be clear?
I use two of these cameras for LPR (OpenALPR), zoomed in to maximum, and because they are at max zoom, they have focus problems if left to switch by themselves (even with reflective tape as an IR auto-focus point), so I use "schedule" and drop to black&white 40 - 50 minutes before they would switch if left to auto, so the focus stays locked where I need it to be. I found in addition to this I needed to set under "conditions" -> "day & night" -> select "night" profile and "mode" to B/W (rather than leaving this auto). Throughout the year I have to remember to tweak the schedule. On my to-do list is to get Brian's utility working, but it is a long list.