Issues with ColorVu DS-2CD2147G2-SU Cameras At Night

Reaction score
Hi

Just installed these, they look great during the day but at night they're a smeary / foggy mess.

The dome is all clean, and it looks like the IR LED's are reflecting back off the inside of the dome - any ideas on best image parameters to improve the picture quality?

1713962253732.png

Thanks in advance :D

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did you take the inner black shroud out?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or the gasket rolled or isn't tight.

One of the many reasons why we avoid domes.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Baring the two culprits indicated by the other members are you sure the lens / dome isn’t covered by finger grease?!?

The included cloth is there for a reason in case you accidentally touch the lens or the exterior dome is dirty from the final installation.

As it relates to minimizing the impact of IR reflective glare when rain is present. I’ve had great success with RainX / similar (anti) defogging chemicals.

Applying it once a year to the dome reduces the incidence of IR glare dramatically.

NOTE: You’ll want to really test this out on a test unit to validate the chemical doesn’t cause other imaging issues or damage to the outer casing.

Some domes are treated with a UV coating and it doesn’t react well to other chemicals being applied. It goes without saying anti fog chemicals must be thoroughly tested if the environment is extremely hot / humid!

Failure to adhere to this concern can cause the dome to delaminate or impact the electronics due to off gassing!

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This was a hik that I dropped and broke that black shroud and when I put the cover back on without it looked just like yours. Fortunately it was inside
IMG_5020.jpeg

sensey3

n3wb
Reaction score
Check the camera model again, the DS-2CD2147G2-SU is a ColorVU and does not have IR, which can reflect in night mode. Nonetheless, if it's something with IR, like the DS-2CD2146G2-ISU, you might try adjusting the camera module to point it in a slightly different direction, where the IR LEDs won't overlap the housing, and not toward a wall or other things from which IR can reflect. Another thing is to correct the rubber band at the lens as mentioned by ludshed.
Or just move it inside and use bullet/turret outside, much friendlier casings, dome can be really painful and im using it only when theres a need for IK10 rating.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Classic Dome problems, never gets old.

Whatyou can do is clean as much from insdie and outside, stick additional sponge where current one is that will make dome cover hard to place, but push it so the sponge actually touching cover. This way IR wont reflect back to camera itself.