Issues running ethernet cable next to furnace vent/stack

Reaction score
So I am in the process of installing a 6 camera system. 4 of them will be on my house and 2 on my detached garage. I went up in to the attic last night. Its a pretty low attic and the whole thing has blow insulation so this is not going to be fun. I started looking for a easy route to the basement where all my equipment will be. I found a nice area around the furnace pipe that goes all the way to the basement. This is the stack that shoots out all the exhaust outside. The area that the pipe is in has a couple inches all the way around the pipe. Do you think I can run cable down this same "Shaft" to the basement. The vent has blow insulation all the way around it in the attic so I would assume it doesn't get that hot so would there really be an issue running cable next to it?

kevkmartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maintain at least 1" clearance from the pipe and use plenum rated cable. Check with code enforcement in your area to be safe. They are very good about answering questions via phone in my area.

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like a good place to me. As kevkmartin said it may be a good idea to use plenum cable. If you dont own a set of glow rods I would pick up a set.

Interpon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would say technically no.. the exhaust is double piped, and there is still clearance needed for safety on the outside pipe. find an interior wall near cold air return and use that to return to basement.

Reaction score
I have found an alternate route to the basement. I still think I could have ran it by it but going to play it safe and cut a whole in the closet wall and drill a new hole down.