Issue with parked car and DS

orbital.xp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I am running BI 5.4.7.11 (and I would like to avoid updating since all my settings are fine-tuned...)

I have an issue with one of my cameras, for which DS is used to confirm presence of {person,car} objects.
The camera can only "see" my car which is parked in front of my house. The street is outside of the camera field of view.

Nevertheless, when a car passes on the street at night, with the lights of the car, BI triggers the motion sensor. That generates a DS analysis which confirms the presence of ... my car, which is absolutely static.

I have checked the "ignore static objects" option, but that does not seems to solve my issue...

Am I missing one setting ?

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, that is common at night.

The headlight bounce/reflection from every passing vehicle makes your parked car look just a little different than the static image that BI uses to determine if the car is in motion.

In one of the zones you need to unhighlight where your car would generally be parked to avoid that.

Then depending on what you are trying to accomplish, you may need to clone the camera to AI tag something else.

Or train a custom model based on your field of view and your images to train DeepStack that this is your car just looking a little different based on the various headlight colors bouncing off of it. An LED headlight will look different than a halogen for example.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The "occupied" function for DS in BI has been upgraded in later versions. I used to have a similar problem. Now, it's a rare occurrence. I' currently on the bleeding edge, 5.5.2.5, but if I remember correctly the improvements came in the 5.5.1.x series.

MikeR33

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Second that, had the same issue until I went to 5.5.2.4 and now it's majorly improved for static detections at night from car lights.