Issue with 5.5.1.18...How To Inspect The Logs

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For some reason, 5.5.1.18 is shutting down randomly. It seems to happen every 24-16 hours. I'm going to roll it back to 5.5.1.17, so I'm not too concerned about the system, but I’d like to troubleshoot a bit and look into what might be causing it. When I pull up the logs file, it only goes back to when I restarted the system. Do I have something set up incorrectly? Where would I find the logs from before the system shutdown?

Logs (1).jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hit the box that says Open file and that will open the full .txt file.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The path to the log files is right there in the box next to "save to file". You might want to add a %day to the file name. That'll make them a little more manageable. Also have a look in the Windows error log, that will provide more information.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The path to the log files is right there in the box next to "save to file". You might want to add a %day to the file name. That'll make them a little more manageable. Also have a look in the Windows error log, that will provide more information.
Thanks. Added %day. Error Logs don't really say anything that I can see.

Windows Logs.jpg

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Click on the Open Folder button and open up the previous log file to see if there might be any messages just before the crash.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Click on the Open Folder button and open up the previous log file to see if there might be any messages just before the crash.
There are only log files from after the crash. Nothing from before is there. I'm guessing it was deleted in the crash or I have something set wrong.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
There are only log files from after the crash. Nothing from before is there. I'm guessing it was deleted in the crash or I have something set wrong.
Not too sure, maybe having just %Y%m has resulted in the file for October being overwritten, that’s not the default setting is it as I’m sure mine is different, will check and report back.

Edit: just checked mine and I have it set the same but when I open the October log file I have all the current and past log entries in the file. On my test rig BI has crashed exactly like yours, just before the crash it detected the hardware acceleration!

Last edited:

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Everything stable here on 5.5.1.16 for a while. The day before yesterday I decided to upgrade to 5.5.1.18 hoping to possibly see some improvements in object detection. What I got was a couple of crashes then yesterday morning I found BI had crashed in the night which is most unusual on my BI PC. I changed to 5.5.1.17 and it's been stable for over 24 hrs. There's nothing relevant in the log that shows up. I've been looking on IPCT for anyone else reporting an issue with 5.5.1.18.

Edit: I've just remembered that when I was on 5.5.1.18 BI was temporarily losing connection to a couple of the cameras, one after another. I thought things would settle down but then got the crashes.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to report that, with a copy of that log page, to BI support. Turn around time may be a few days depending on how busy they are.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've just checked in my W10 error logs, a red marker also shows up the same as ARAMP1 has posted.
I spotted a couple, Errors, "Faulty module ntdll.dll ver 10.0.19041.1288"

Incidentally the only other W10 errors I spotted seemed caused by the storage optimizer looking to re-trim BI storage on D, my hard drive. Apparently the hardware doesn't support this, and why should it it's not a solid state drive. Any comments?
edit: I've just noticed I had empty directories on C: for New and Storage, I use D: for New and Storage. The empty directories on C: have now been deleted, so hopefully I wont see error messages about re-trimming D: in future.

BI here continues to be stable here on 5.5.1.17, and there are no errors in the log since on this.

Last edited: