Is this worth the price?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been looking at this dashcam and not sure if it's worth the price? Would like a few different opinions good, bad, ect. It just seems like it's way overpriced. The stats look nice, just not the price.
VIOFO 4K HDR Dash Cam Front and Rear A139 Pro 2CH , STARVIS 2 IMX678 Sensor, Super Night Vision, Ultra HD 4K + 1080P Dashcam
Its pricey because its new and good sensors...Personally I prefer the models with a small screen so I can easily confirm its working and properly aimed without having to connect via app...My Viofo cams have been reliable...

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
look at it this way, when an event happens, do you want a pair of good eyes of a teenager looking at it or do you want a pair of old eyes of a 90 year old with oncoming glaucoma looking for the details of the event? thats how i look at it. an old man maybe cheap and tell you what happened, but the teenager costs more but can give you all the details you need.
thats how i look at it, i cant tell you what i would prefer to k now if something happened just that one time out of 100,000.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve personally never tried the no names cheaper brands but companies like Viofo and Vantrue are well respected.

Personally I avoid Blackvue, my son paid over £650 for his Blackvue 4k front and rear and has had nothing but problems with it, even here in the good old UK it keeps overheating. Blackvue are aware of the issue but they kept on blaming other things until his warranty expired after which they refused to help just always citing that the warranty has now expired even though it was a long standing issue. They even tried blaming his micro SD card, claimed it was too fast and that that was the reason the cam was overheating. A truly loathsome company that I would never ever recommend.

In terms of the cams, much like CCTV cams they will all produce watchable clips during the day but it’s really important to try and find reviews of night time clips. I’ve got a Viofo a119 v3 and a Vantrue E1, both produce vivid day time clips, at night time getting readable plates is potentially luck I’ve found.

For parking mode, you’ll normally need a 3 wire cable and checking and understand the parking mode features of the cam is quite important. Make sure that there is a pre-buffer feature so that a few seconds before the incident get recorded elsewhere the recording of you are doing it in event based will start after the event.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are going to get a dash camera, IMHO you definitely want one that captures both the front and rear of the vehicle. Otherwise you will have an incomplete story if you have an incident and need the footage to help prove what happened. I have used Viofo dash cameras myself and don't have any complaints about them.

That being said, I don't have any personal experience with that particular model.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I was on my nightly walk last night and went by a neighbor's house and he had just bought the Wolfbox G850. He had BestBuy install it and he gave me the complete run down on it. He also bought the harness that goes with it. I am giving it some deep thought and careful consideration.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I was on my nightly walk last night and went by a neighbor's house and he had just bought the Wolfbox G850. He had BestBuy install it and he gave me the complete run down on it. He also bought the harness that goes with it. I am giving it some deep thought and careful consideration.
You probably noticed it's pretty cool to have a touch screen just like we are all accustomed to these days. No need to remember a special button sequence. And I like that you can review easily the recording in the car on the screen and not have to download it.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an A139. The picture quality is excellent although mine is single camera. Why single camera? Becuase if you look at the specs, the more cameras you add, the lower the quality of recording you get as the bandwidth becomes shared between them all. I agree with Fender, I'm not so keen on not having a screen although it does tell you it's recording orally. That said, on the quality front, I don't think the specs drop massivelly with 2 cameras. I don't have aa 2 camera one so can't compare 1 vs 2. I just wanted max quality as plates are hard to capture especially at night. One thing I do like is Viofo have introduced a static cling film that you put on the windscreen 1st then stick the camera mount to. This protects the windscreen as the camera is easy to remove by peeling the film yet seems secure. I've had mine about 12 months and it's not fallen off yet. Down side is they say the film is resuable. Having removed one, I wouldn't say it's the case as the edges curl up. That said they sell replacement films for not too much money. Hope some of that helps.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Personally I avoid Blackvue, my son paid over £650 for his Blackvue 4k front and rear and has had nothing but problems with it,
yeah they are crap, over priced pooop. but as they advertise a lot all the mummy and daddy people who dont know any better will get one.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah they are crap, over priced pooop. but as they advertise a lot all the mummy and daddy people who dont know any better will get one.
The worst thing about my sons experience is that while his cam was in warranty they released a revised version which supposedly dealt with the heat issue but they flat refused to replace his faulty cam with it. As I said they then kept delaying with really crap excuses and even though he had raised tickets with the same issue they then refused to do anything stating that his warranty had expired.

Truly loathsome company who has no interest in their customers. Compare that to me experience with Viofo, my A119 V3 started to lose the date/time, I posted on dashcamtalk, issue diagnosed as the internal battery being bad/dead. The Viofo rep on the forum contacted me, told him I was quite happy with replacing the battery myself and he arranged for a replacement battery to be posted out to me. The cam wasn’t in warranty so he didn’t have to do anything and I never asked beyond asking if anybody had details on what type I need to try and get.

Riclyo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I own a VIOFO a139 pro 2channel.
It’s had a couple incidents where I think it’s recording and it isn’t.
wish I bought the screen version but I wanted for something discreet.

I’ve owned 6 different brands prior and they’ve all had issues. Not recording is the biggest issue even though I make sure to buy the recommended card. I’ve had a transcend outright fail, and a mirror version battery swell to the point of separating the case.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
That does sound like the SD Card failing. The camera tells you it's recording so if it says that and it hasn't, it's a fair assumption it did but the recording was corrupted.